Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 09:24:14 AM

Author Topic: Help with tuning motors  (Read 953 times)

Help with tuning motors
« on: October 13, 2023, 06:02:22 AM »
Hi everyone my name is Piotr and thats my first subject. I am woodturner and woodworker.
Recently i build my first cnc machine its kinda clone of Avid cnc.
Frame is made from 80x80mm aluminium.
Gantry is made from 160x80mm. Have Hiteco 8hp motor.
My long Y axis is drive by 2xNema34 8.5nm on rack and pinion system.
My X axis is drive on 2010 ballscrew. Same nema34 motor.

Its hybrid closed stepping motor on ZDM-2HA865 driver. (Would attach manual)

Everything is connected to ESS smoothstepper and MB3 bob.
I tune motors made few test with motor wizard and left them. Recently i did some pockets in project and 2 opposite corners have larger radius then other corners. I have to slow down to around 50ipm or less (i operate in mm). And start realising i might did something wrong with motors. Because i saw other people machines on YT and they much faster. Also when trying to tune speed and feed i have to go much slower with feed rate and rpm do get decent result. Anyways downloaded Mach4 instruction and i read that  :

"As a rule of thumb an inch machine should have the steps per unit greater then 5000 (200 for MM). A
value of 5000 will give a resolution of .0002 inches."

So actually my X and Z axis is 200mm but Y axis is 88mm/units. Also i never play with velocity and acceleration. I only change units with wizard calculator.

I dont make any cabinets(yet) on my cnc would do it in future so my question is:

1.What would be best velocity/acceleration for my setup do work on smaller projects like pockets (200x150mm) and similar sizes?

2.Need help with manual for changing steps of my Y axis so it could match my X axis. I check manual but i am confused. Basically which program to change so i can adjust / make higher rpm ? In manual its says :

"When P000 is “0200”, the internal drive will run at 60 rev / min. In this mode,
pressing down the speed of motor, pressing raise the speed of motor,
speed ranging from-300 to +300,pressing cancel this mode."

Sounds easy but where i look into function table what P000 does its "password".

Thanks for Your time and help. Kind Regards Piotr.

https://r.vallder.com/images/product_details_images/stepper_motors/ZDM-2HA865%20Specification.pdf

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 06:12:09 AM by Piotr Chrustek »