Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 03:27:57 PM

Author Topic: changing zero position  (Read 1711 times)

changing zero position
« on: October 08, 2023, 11:35:53 AM »
Hello, can someone tell me when all of a sudden when I'm cutting on my cnc machine that the machine seems that it's changing its zero setting and cutting deeper. destroying the project that I'm working on. thanks for your help.
Re: changing zero position
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 02:17:14 PM »
Couple things.

How you hold your cutter can make that happen. If the cutter is cutting too aggressively it can be pulled out of the collet, chuck, or what ever you are using to hold it.

Could there be something going on that would be causing you to lose steps? I once had the opposite problem and realized that everytime I would go in for a cut the machine would bottom out and lose steps. Couldnt cut deep enough. Make sure your not hitting anything going up. Also make sure you are not trying to move too fast going up and lose steps.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 03:06:59 PM »
I THOUGHT IT COULD BE THE STEPPER MOTOR TRYING TO CHANGE THAT OUT NOW. BUT ILL TRY AND LOOK AT YOUR IDEA. THANKS FOR INFO
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 05:21:55 PM »
Hello, can someone tell me when all of a sudden when I'm cutting on my cnc machine that the machine seems that it's changing its zero setting and cutting deeper. destroying the project that I'm working on. thanks for your help.

Can you actually see the Z DRO setting change when this happens?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »
no but when i stop machine and tell it to go back to zero it is definitely deeper. Thanks for your response.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Sounds very much like the tool pulling slightly out of its collet as Steve suggests.  What tool+collet are you using, and what material?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 11:04:01 AM »
hey thanks for the quick reply. You might be right I am trying to change out one zero stepper motor the problem is the wiring. I want to make sure that I do it right. The colors of the stepper motor don't match the connections on the machine. I will try to send pictures. Also, I just installed another version of Mach 3 maybe I hit something on keyboard that might have changed a setting somewhere. Just grasping at straws. Thanks again.