Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 06:27:57 AM

Author Topic: How to get line numbers by default in the Gcode window  (Read 1145 times)

How to get line numbers by default in the Gcode window
« on: October 07, 2023, 07:21:35 PM »
I feel like this is staring me in the face, but I can't find it.

If you double click in the Mach4 Gcode window, it will add the line number to the display which will stick for the Mach4 session.  Is there any way to make that the default mode?

thanks,
Jim

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
  • what me worry? heck...it ain't my machine anyway
    • View Profile
Re: How to get line numbers by default in the Gcode window
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 08:07:31 PM »
first I'd ask why you want to see the line numbers? I don't believe you can use those in any function calls. Its only for the editor itself. Bob  :-\
any semblance of information posted to anything remotely  close to accuracy is merely coincidence. Use at you own discretion.. or play the lottery.. same odds
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 10:29:10 PM »
Sometimes things go south, then its nice to know where in the file the problem was so when I go back to debug it, or start it again the next day I know a little more accurately than "in the south side of a 500k line Gcode file".

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:35:52 AM »
why not simply place line numbers in your generated GCode? If you are doing by hand I'd guess the files aren't that large. If your generating thru a CAD system most should be able to add line numbers. Bob  :o
any semblance of information posted to anything remotely  close to accuracy is merely coincidence. Use at you own discretion.. or play the lottery.. same odds
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 11:35:13 AM »
There are a half dozen reasons why one of my files may not have line numbers.   Generally, I prefer the app to display the numbers if possible, putting numbers in the file makes the Gcode 10-20% larger, and really messes up hand editing (cut and paste especially). 

My offline editor displays line numbers, and so does Mach4's built in editor.  The display window can as well - I just want to know if there is a way to make that window default to displaying the line numbers please.

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 11:41:12 AM »
I don't see any method as it seems part of the display function. Maybe one of the adminstrators can be of assistance and point you in the correct direction. Sorry. Bob :-[
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »
Did you try double clicking inside the GCode tab window?  If I do that then I see line numbers.