Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 11:28:06 AM

Author Topic: MACH 4 home switch configurations...  (Read 1559 times)

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
MACH 4 home switch configurations...
« on: August 26, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
I purchased a used and operating CNC milling machine with a PMDX-126 BOB running MACH 4. when I got it set up, I couldn't get the steppers to move with keyboard. I got it to move thanks to Steve Stallings at PMDX support. I'm not sure while going through configurations, I reset something to lose that link...

Fast forward, I installed home switches on my X, Y and Z axes and plugged in soft limits on the X and Y axes.

My BOB shows limit switches operational, however, while manually moving it, it didn't stop moving while going beyond the limit...is this normal as now I'm definitely paranoid about running it under power to home as I don't know if it'll stop.

I have attached some pics of settings as is right now.

Is there a place where I put in the "bounce back" distance?

Is there anything missing as far as settings, checks, numbers, etc?

Thanks in advance...

ROG
Re: MACH 4 home switch configurations...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 01:35:22 PM »
You mentioned limit switches. According to the screens you posted, you have home switches, not limit switches. Careful with terminology so you don't confuse people.

First step is to get homing working properly. If machine does not home correctly, use the Mach4 "Diagnostics" screen to verify that Mach4 can see your home switches. The indicators on the diagnostics are in the right hand column of the Input Signals part of the panel. M0 and M1 labels may be missing the word home, but are the same type of indicator as the M2 Home etc. directly below them.

If you had actual limit switches they would have names like M0-- and M0++.

The configuration option for Home Offset is often misunderstood. It does not cause any motion, rather it determines the numeric value associated with the location where the homing operation stops the machine. One common way to use this is to define Home Offset to a small negative value like -0.100 so that telling the machine to Go to Zero will cause the machine to come to rest 0.100 from the home position.

You are, I think, trying to set up Soft Limits. Since you are NOT using home-in-place without home switches, it is mandatory that you have homing working and that the machine is homed before enabling Soft Limits. The Soft Limits function does not take effect until you enable it. The control for turning it on is in the set of functions in the lower right block of the main Mach4 screen. The button is labeled "Soft Limits On/Off".

Pay attention to the error messages in the bottom line of the main screen to make sure Mach4 does not have issues with your Soft Limits configuration.

Steve Stallings
PMDX
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 01:38:23 PM by Steve Stallings »
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 04:10:12 PM »
I purchased a used and operating CNC milling machine with a PMDX-126 BOB running MACH 4. when I got it set up, I couldn't get the steppers to move with keyboard. I got it to move thanks to Steve Stallings at PMDX support. I'm not sure while going through configurations, I reset something to lose that link...

Fast forward, I installed home switches on my X, Y and Z axes and plugged in soft limits on the X and Y axes.

My BOB shows home switches operational, however, while manually moving it, it didn't stop moving while going beyond the limit...is this normal as now I'm definitely paranoid about running it under power to home as I don't know if it'll stop.

I have attached some pics of settings as is right now.

Is there a place where I put in the "bounce back" distance?

Is there anything missing as far as settings, checks, numbers, etc?

Thanks in advance...

ROG

Corrected to home switches with soft limits...my apologies for any confusion...

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 04:20:04 PM »
You mentioned limit switches. According to the screens you posted, you have home switches, not limit switches. Careful with terminology so you don't confuse people.

First step is to get homing working properly. If machine does not home correctly, use the Mach4 "Diagnostics" screen to verify that Mach4 can see your home switches. The indicators on the diagnostics are in the right hand column of the Input Signals part of the panel. M0 and M1 labels may be missing the word home, but are the same type of indicator as the M2 Home etc. directly below them.

The configuration option for Home Offset is often misunderstood. It does not cause any motion, rather it determines the numeric value associated with the location where the homing operation stops the machine. One common way to use this is to define Home Offset to a small negative value like -0.100 so that telling the machine to Go to Zero will cause the machine to come to rest 0.100 from the home position.

You are, I think, trying to set up Soft Limits. Since you are NOT using home-in-place without home switches, it is mandatory that you have homing working and that the machine is homed before enabling Soft Limits. The Soft Limits function does not take effect until you enable it. The control for turning it on is in the set of functions in the lower right block of the main Mach4 screen. The button is labeled "Soft Limits On/Off".

Pay attention to the error messages in the bottom line of the main screen to make sure Mach4 does not have issues with your Soft Limits configuration.

Steve Stallings
PMDX

Thank you Steve. You are correct as these are homing switches. I will follow up and let you know what I find...

Thanks again!

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 08:41:20 PM »

Steve Stallings
PMDX

Thank you Steve. You are correct as these are homing switches. I will follow up and let you know what I find...

Thanks again!

Mr Stallings, I went into the diagnostics tab and the M0, M1 and M2 inputsare not lit along with the ES...however the outputs are...

I went into configure / inputs / homing selecting M0, M1 and M2 putting green checks in all 3 boxes. Select OK and nothing changes. I go back into config and nothing has taken hold...

Thx
ROG
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 09:18:19 AM »
The outputs that you show are the Motor Enable outputs that can be used to turn on the drivers if needed. Nothing to do with limits.

Have you followed the instructions that go with the ESS for setting up inputs?

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 07:13:13 PM »
Hi Steve, I came across this video from Warp9...Not sure if you are the author/commentator, but I believe this is what you are referring to as far as set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLrcg_RbNw

Do I have to physically have the software hooked up to the machine? Right now I took the computer to my office so I can configure the software step by step while referencing the youtube video on another computer.

thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 09:10:04 PM »
That video is provided by Warp9TD and I did not contribute to it. They do a better job than I could with explaining how to use an Ethernet SmoothStepper.

When you are initially setting up communications with the SmoothStepper and running the configurator supplied by Warp9TD, you must have your computer connected to the SmoothStepper. Once that is done, I ~think~ you can do the rest off-line, but don't consider me the final authority about that.

Steve
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 08:16:45 AM »
Good morning Mr Stallings. I do have the steppers operating with the board as I am able to jog the machine around via the keyboard.

I guess the question arose as before the scripting change, the narrator went thru the homing sequence. I couldn't tell if it was performed for display purposes as I didn't hear a machine running...

Thanks!

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 05:51:43 PM »
Mr Stallings, I performed the setup including the scripting.

A few questions...

I was able to do the first part of script with one error and was able to get it save w/o error...all axes homed and backed off a smidge after activating switches.

When I got to the second screen, what the video shows and what my screen show do not match.

the "--RefAllHome()" as line 1 is not there

Line 1 reads "wait = coroutine..." without the 2 -- preceding text

Line 4 in video shows space, mine does not...

I saved and the only thing I noticed is where the commentator states an error will show up, I noticed 2 red lines (I do not remember if they were there prior to edit) and my keyboard jogging does not work now...

I was actually trying to move axes to see if the ref all axes button would move machine again like in first script, however, I can't get it to move at all now...

See screenshots and let me know if you see anything out of place...

thanks!