Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 08:34:21 PM

Author Topic: Touch plate procedure not working with tool 3  (Read 1801 times)

Touch plate procedure not working with tool 3
« on: August 21, 2023, 04:28:15 PM »
Good Day,

I'm still pretty new to Mach 4 so please forgive me if this is an obvious questions.

I am setting up my ATC, I have the M6 macro working but am struggling with tool offsets. I am using G43 H1 etc and then setting my initial tool height to 0, then going to G43 H3 and measuring my third tool etc.

If I do a z probe with tool 1 it touches off the touch plate and then retracts 1"
If I do a z probe with tool 3 it touches off the touch plate but then goes down into the touch plate 0.33" I made sure that I was showing tool 3 and H3 before doing the z probe.

Is it possible that I could only probe with tool 1? or should I be able to touch off with any of the tools?

Thanks!
Re: Touch plate procedure not working with tool 3
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 04:56:14 PM »
Just did some more testing.

Install tool 1, select tool 1 with H1 - Probes fine, touches off then goes up 1"
Install tool 3 select tool 3 with h3 - Comes down until contact, then pauses and drives down into the touch pad by 0.3"
Send G43 H1, keep tool 3 installed - Probes until it touches and then retracts up 1" as intended.

It seems that the H# gets pulled into the touch off macro somehow and is added to the 1" subtraction because tool 3 is 1.3" longer than tool 1.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 05:30:29 PM »
Post your macro so we can have a look.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »
I don't know how to pull up the macro, im not actually using my M6 macro just manually changing the tool and setting the tool number and running G43 h# for the tool. Im using this touch off feature that was pre-loaded in my AVID CNC Mach 4 Screen. Its called Auto Z & Corner Finding Touch Plate.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ubb1iat3tGug9ahV6

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 09:33:00 PM »
That is and AVID problem not something we can help with as we do not have the AVID screen set.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 10:27:20 PM »
Oh very interesting. I did pull over another screen that had touch options. Would it be wise to remove the avid touch screen and just use the standard mach one? I found it on the default router screen I believe and could do a simple import/export?