Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 01:15:42 AM

Author Topic: Unreliable jogging - New machine Mach 4 Demo, CNC4PC C82, ESS, Clearpath  (Read 303 times)

Ok well the machine is not new, but rather an old Bridgeport Boss 5 CNC.  I had this machine running with steppers and Mach 3 years ago.  Then I decided to upgrade it,  long story that you are not interested in.  Got side tracked by life and a couple of years went by and now I'm starting over, so it's a new conversion and nearly everything has changed except the old iron.  I'm using Mach 4 demo, CNC4PC C82 break out board, Ethernet smooth stepper, ClearPath Integrated Servo Motors (CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS).  I got 3 axises jogging, but it's acting a bit weird.  Sometimes I command it to jog and it does not move even though the DRO indicates a move.  Most of the time it does jog, but sometimes it seems my jog command doesn't move the axis.  This happens on all 3 axises.  Any ideas?  I'm not even sure where to start looking, is this a Mach issue, Clearpath issue?  My feeling it's a setting or configuration I need to make in Mach for the clearpath motors.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!!
Hi rogerfries,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some strange behavior with the machine. It's difficult to say exactly where this issue is stemming from without more information, but it is possible that there's some setting/configuration issue with the Mach controller or the ClearPath motors.

It may be helpful to know that the MSP (motor setup program) software that comes with the ClearPath-SD motors can be used for troubleshooting/diagnostics in addition to configuring the motors and running tests. In this case, the digital oscilloscope included in the MSP software could be used to determine whether or not the commands are actually being received by the motors (one way of achieving this is by looking at the Commanded Velocity on the scope while sending commands to the motors from the controller). For more information about using the digital oscilloscope, please see pages 82-89 of the ClearPath User Manual (which can be found on the Teknic website here: https://teknic.com/downloads/).

If you have any further questions or are looking for additional troubleshooting steps, please feel free to submit a contact request on Teknicā€™s website (https://teknic.com/contact/) or give us a call at 585-784-7454, and we would be happy to help further.

Aimee F. - Teknic Applications Engineer