Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 03:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Setting up THC on Plasma Cutter Migrating from Mach 3  (Read 1152 times)

Setting up THC on Plasma Cutter Migrating from Mach 3
« on: June 19, 2023, 08:52:47 AM »
Hi all,
I running mach4 Build 5036 in demo mode, warp9 ESS 285 smooth stepper and a proma 150 THC. I'm trying to validate the software before purchasing the full license, and I cant get the THC to work. I copied over all the pins and settings from mach 3, and I have the THC mapped to an axis 6 and and created a dummy OB Motor matching the configuration of the Z axis.

I'm running the proma THC in tst mode where it generates fluctuating voltages and send height up/ down signals to mach, I can see these signals in the logs so I know that's working, but the torch height isn't moving. It is also not an issue of the demo timing out because I will boot it up fresh and still get nothing from mach. I'm freely able to jog the motors around manually and use gcode to move the tip. I'm not sure what else to try.

Am I missing something in enabling the THC? 

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up THC on Plasma Cutter Migrating from Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 09:22:51 AM »
Andy, who's been MIA lately, suggests Mach4 4809 because of issues with newer versions and ESS plugins. I'd try that first and THEN check further. You'll have to get it here:

https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettingstarted/setting-up-the-smoothstepper-and-mach4

Scroll down a bit to Setup 2A
--
Tom
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 01:44:20 PM »
I've changed to 4809 build, but still no luck on the torch height controller. It has however seemed to resolve an issue with the smooth stepper periodically exiting stopping the program on probe.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »
i'm mystified then. I don't know about THC or plasma. Maybe read thru Andy's treatise on THC.
--
Tom
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 03:47:01 PM »
I reached out to mach and the demo mode doesnt actually have full functionality. As far as i knew from what i had been reading it was only the time limit so you can't use it for production. Some features, like THC, are actually disabled until you purchase the license. Not a lot of documentation and it took a while to find out but at least I have a resolution now!

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 06:23:28 AM »
Andy, who's been MIA lately, suggests Mach4 4809 because of issues with newer versions and ESS plugins. I'd try that first and THEN check further. You'll have to get it here:

https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettingstarted/setting-up-the-smoothstepper-and-mach4 territorial io

Scroll down a bit to Setup 2A
Great! Thanks for your sharing. My issue is solved