Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 10:06:30 PM

Author Topic: New guy here...  (Read 313 times)

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
New guy here...
« on: June 15, 2023, 11:00:55 AM »
Virgin actually... 8)

I've recently acquired a PM-727 CNC mill that came with E/S and switches, but were never installed. The BO board is a PMDX-126 with steppers and Mach 4 software. I got the E/S hooked up and now I am on to the switches...

My plans (for the moment) are to use the switches for homing and using Mach 4 soft stops for max X and Y travel...

I did have a 20 minute demo before taking home, so I am familiar with the jog function...

My question is, how do I "safely" get the machine to max travel for home limits? If I overshoot, is there a potential to damage something? Is there a way to tell when I'm close? I'm hoping I don't have to switch everything back to hand cranks / oem screws to accomplish this...

I realize this is real 101 material, just trying to avoid any real problems...

Thanks in advance, ROG66

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
Re: New guy here...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »
Probably the easiest way to get to your max travel is to jog close then slow it way down and slowly jog till it stops.
This will probably not damage anything and i am assuming it has a hard stop.
If they are stepper motors once you hit the hard stop you can loose position so pay attention.

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 06:46:50 PM »
Probably the easiest way to get to your max travel is to jog close then slow it way down and slowly jog till it stops.
This will probably not damage anything and i am assuming it has a hard stop.
If they are stepper motors once you hit the hard stop you can loose position so pay attention.

Hi Bill, thanks for the input...by "hard stop", I'm assuming you mean out of threaded rod or solid stop built into the ways by manufacturer?

Thanks again...ROG

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 08:19:53 AM »
Yes.
A physical part of the machine that will not allow it to move farther.