Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 06:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Touch Off UI Find Center Not Working  (Read 380 times)

Touch Off UI Find Center Not Working
« on: April 28, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
Probing works fine for one Axis. I can zero my Z, find the edge of X & Y but if I try using the "Find Center" in my center finding touchplate it will move to the X-, contact the plate, then make a small move in the X+ direction and then disables Mach.

This is what History shows.

"X axis is performing a touch move.

ESS starting Probe 0
ESS: Successful Probe0 Strike.  Probing finished.

ERROR: No contact with probe"

I have an ESS and have "Probing Failure Disables Mach" deselected. I have also tried with it enabled with no change in result.

My grounding of the system is very good and have no noise issues.  I did try adding noise filtering in the ESS configs but there was not change. If it was noise I would also think I would have issues with other touch probe functions but all work for a single function.

I've looked at all the topics I can find and I may have missed the answer so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Re: Touch Off UI Find Center Not Working
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
Hi,
this is a common and recurring problem.

The probing module use g31 moves to move the probe around. Lets say you need to move the probe to the other side of a hole of nominal diameter.
You could say:
g1 xnnn   where nnn is the diameter.

What happens though if the nominal diameter is wrong, the probe could slam into the other side of the hole and wreck itself. Its common for the programmers to
use g31 instead. With a g31 move it behaves almost identically to a g1 move, ie it moves at a given feed rate, but a g31 move stops if it detects a probe event.
So if you programed:
g31 xnnn           where nnn is the nominal diameter then it would move to x=nnn UNLESS the probe touched something along the way. The machine would stop and therefore the
probe would not get wrecked. This is good, and is commonly used.

Now consider what happens if you use the g31 move as I described but the nominal diameter is correct. You'd expect the probe to move to x=nnn but there would be NO
probe event...this is good, this is what we expected, it means the probe did not hit anything......but the ESS was expecting a probe event. After all all it knows is Mach called
for a g31, how does it know that it was just a way to avoid banging up the probe? When the probe gets to x=nnn the ESS is going to say ERROR: No contact with probe"

So the ESS reports an error if a probe event does not occur before the g31 reaches its terminal location. You can change that behaviour.
In the ESS plugin under the Probing tab change the check box that describes what the ESS does in absence of a probe strike.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Touch Off UI Find Center Not Working
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 12:15:25 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I've tried it with that enabled and disabled in ESS 285 prior to this but tried it again just now to make sure I wasn't missing something. I have not tried downgrading to ESS 277. I have Mach4 4809 since that's what was recommended on the Warp9 set up instructions