Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:43:34 PM

Author Topic: G31 probing via array macro.  (Read 30844 times)

Re: Lt's get digi with it! Digitizing a Guitar
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 12:56:44 AM »
Chip hopefully your quest is where this testing is headed. While it is nice to be able to do this in a macro, it would be so much nicer if all were included in the probe plugin. I hope you noticed my question to Terry about the possibility to use this as a means to set a profile that could then be digitized within the parameters picked up by the array macro. That almost sounds like what you are looking for as well.

Mike

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Lt's get digi with it! Digitizing a Guitar
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »
Hi, Mike

Just trying to get back up to speed, Converted a WaterJet cutter to Mach3 awhile back 4x8' Z 24".Wanted to cut the edges of a curved part's on it.

Have a small mill with 4 th axis and probe to work with at home, Just interested in your project.

Hi, Terry

You expressed a desire to move this topic to a different area, You name it "G31 Probing" ??, Will move it.

Thanks, Chip

vmax549

Re: G31 probing via array macro.
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 07:16:21 AM »
Good Morning Guys, What I am working on is a suite of of arrays. We have the polar arrays working next will be to develop
a set of linear arrays that are as tuneable as the polar version. This will give us the ability to probe in a head on approach to get the best accuracy. Things like x-,x+,y-,y+, z-

For example I could start at one spot use a x+ array to go down the first side, switch to a polar to go around a rounded end, switch back to a X- array to go down the other side. Switch back to the ext polar array for the other rounded corner and then move to an inside cavity and fire up an interior array to gather more data from a pocket,etc,etc.

This way you would not have to use a method that is NOT optimized for the shape you are  probing.

It may even be possible to select a batch of arrays to form the best shape to probe an object and then have them run as ONE programed cycle.

NOW when we have the suite all ready with all the different arrays available then it will be time to build a FIRST CLASS MACH page to be able to run them all from. It could give you a host of controls and displays to aid in 2D probing .

Hopefully we can get one of the page building Gurus to help us out on the PAGE, so be thinking of functions you would like to have Incorporated.

Also we may need to develop a couple of simple utilities to make life simple. One such as converting the points string to a Gcode file. It would just need to add a preamble of code to the top of the file. Or one to append one file to another(dos command somewhere). Maybe one to add line numbers to the file????, you get the idea. Perhaps someone could build a small utility program with all the functions rolled into one for us 2Ders.  I might could do it but it would be UGLY(;-)

NOTESNOTES: Keep notes or just update the topic with them.

I will have a simple shape file in a little while. I am doing an example of a connecting rod. It will be a low resolution scan but you will be able to see detail. and play with the points if you want.

With all you guys help we can have a really nice application for MACH users. Just a little payback to ART for all his hard work.

(;-) TP

vmax549

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »
OK thinks are looking up I found a SWEET gcode to DXF convertor(free) to use to create a dxf from the gcode file.

SO now all you have to do is take the points file, add a g1 to the top of the list and that will convert it to a simple gcode file.

next convert the gcode file to a DXF. THen you can load up the dxf in your favorite CAD program and clean it up if needed.

Then you can load it into LCAM and process back to a first class GCODE program.

Enclosed are the following files(IHOPE)

ANrodpoints.txt    The raw points file or shape file
Anrodshape.txt    Raw Gcode file
AnrodDXF.dxf      Raw Shape DXF file
ANRODJPG.jpg     Image of the raw dxf file

THe converter file is in the next post(;-)

vmax549

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »
AND here is the converter file.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 10:32:16 AM »
Hey Terry,

I am on my way to the shop to test this out and will be back later to post some results.

Mike

vmax549

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
SOME of the jitters in the picture are from me adjusting things on the fly. Seems I did not have the height  right to catch all the surface edge so I just tweeked it a bit you an see by the rest of the surface it came out quiet well. And it was not in high resolution.

THe polar arrays can do fie with smaller simple objects BUT

I think that building a suite of arrays is going to be the ultimate approach. We just need someone that can build a great wizard to assemble the arrays into a single program. Seeing how the actual code runs as a sub program it should be easy to assemble the program . (YEA RIGHT)

OH RON OLD BUDDY WHERE ARE YOU ?????? This falls into your expertise with conversation programming. CARE to join in the FUN.????

(;-) TP

vmax549

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
We need to locate some of the following programs or pieces of code.

Points to ACAD
File appending code
file renaming code to rename file from a .txt to a .tap

vmax549

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
MIke hop over and check out what Stirling has running in the 2.5d probing topic. COOL

It may be more of what YOU had in mind for probing the guitars.

(;-) TP

vmax549

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
MIKE, on the general config page 3 columns over to the right and 5 inputs down you will find a check box called

" Ignore M calls while loading"  You need to check this box so MACH will ignore the M call when it loads up and checks the file.

If it is not checked then MACH will run through the macro before you get to see it on load up.

THEN when you run the Gcode it will call it up . 

(;-) TP