Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:11:10 AM

Author Topic: big speed control knob  (Read 6150 times)

big speed control knob
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:44:27 AM »
Is there a way of having a big analog style rotary feedrate dial control speed override in Mach 2/3 rather than up/down buttons?
Its a bit more hands on for optimising cut.

also I have concieved a device that gets sticky taped to the surface of the work piece and listens to the harmonics of the vibrations, then varies the feedrate for smoother cut/ longer tool life in the same way a good craftsman 'feels' the tool. This would then control feedrate also.

Benergy 
Re: big speed control knob
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:27:53 AM »
I have done this with a PLC but you should also be able to do it with a ModIO card as well...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »
Benergy,

I control the federate manualy using a low resolution encoder (about $4 from digikey).  This requires 2 input pins from your parallel port.

I like your “feedrate compensation”, I will work on that.  I guess you would need a device that will sense vibration and will output a signal that will be processed by a macropump running in mach.

Arturo Duncan
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
hey arturod,
that makes total sense!!!!!
i presume 2 pins for step up and step down, so as you spin the knob it contacts the input pins repeatedly.
Does this digikey part need any mods or does it wire straight up? part number?

benergy
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »
what is a ModIO?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
learning rocks!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:16:22 PM by benergy »
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 08:32:29 AM »
Benergy,

I believe the part I bought was item # GH3072-ND from digikey, at $4.70.  http://lgrws01.grayhill.com/web/images/ProductImages/I-51-52.pdf  If  I was to do it again, I would get one that would also have a switch, so I could toggle between low and high resolution.

You will connect the encoder outputs to input pins in your parallel port.  Then configure this pins in mach as OEM Trig pins.  Then write a macropump that will read this signals and produce the appropriate OEM codes for fedrate up and down.

Arturo Duncan
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »
Arturo,
can you explain the macropump thing, or can you send the one you have created i can look at.
regards
benergy
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »
Benergy,

A macropump is a marcro that runs under mach in a loop manner.  It is running all the time.

I am away from you machine now and do not have access to the macro, but I did it following the guidelines in the wiki for making a pendant using a modio.  All the procedures are the same, it is just that inputs pins are not set to port 0, but to the actual port you are going to use.

Enclosed find the link. http://www.machsupport.com/MachCustomizeWiki/index.php?title=Touch_Screen_and_panel_controls_using_ModIO

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com