Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 06:37:13 PM

Author Topic: computer suggestion for Mach 4?  (Read 419 times)

computer suggestion for Mach 4?
« on: April 02, 2023, 01:10:41 PM »
Hi,
I'm going to be running Mach 4 with the ESS board and WarpRunner THC.

What are the minimum requirements to run Mach 4?

I'd like to stay with a small laptop or even a tablet if possible. Needs to have an ethernet for the ESS/

Thanks All!
Re: computer suggestion for Mach 4?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 08:26:53 PM »
Hi,
my machine runs on a dual core Atom single board mini-ITX PC with NO graphics card and only 3G RAM. In short and extremely low powered
PC, less than NFS recommend. Other than being slow to load a large file, say 5MB, and draw the initial toolpath its fine. I've been using it with Mach4
and an ESS for eight years. Its got a 64GB SSD and after eight years 52GB is still free.

The truth is that Mach is NOT a power hungry program, what Mach really requires is a PC with a minimal number of competing services or
software, we want the PC to concentrate on Mach not other stuff. There is inevitably 'other stuff' but try to minimise it.

I'd recommend one of the kids cast-off school laptops, clean all and every bit of software off it bar that that is required to run Mach. That usually includes
your CAD/CAM software, that is better off on your regular day-to-day PC while your machine PC  just controls the machine.

As it was explained to me years ago 'when you hook a PC to a machine it is no longer a PC (general purpose computing platform) but a machine
controller
that just happens to use Windows as an OS.' It should not be on the internet, and in fact even a network is frowned on.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: computer suggestion for Mach 4?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 09:20:26 PM »
Sounds good, Thanks for that!

Yes, I have always had a dedicated PC for all my CNC machines over the past 25 years with NO Internet.

Looks like I can pick up a cheap "Military Grade" small laptop off of Amazon for less than $200.

Excited to bring this new machine to life.

Thanks again!