Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:55:50 PM

Author Topic: 3.3v parallel port help  (Read 990 times)

3.3v parallel port help
« on: March 25, 2023, 08:15:24 PM »
Hello folks, got a fun one here.
Had to replace the computer that runs a gantry type cnc pick-n-place transplanting machine for our family's greenhouse. we built the machine in 2015 and its run every spring since, but the dust, humidity, and heat finally killed the old hp desktop.

Got a new computer and all the software and programs loaded onto it. I can move the gantry around and home it, but no joy on the relay driven picker head or conveyor belt. After 2 days of running around and checking out red herrings finally discovered that the new computer uses a pex1p2 parallel port board that puts out a 3.38v signal and of course the gecko G540 needs a 5v signal.

I've dug around a fair bit on the net and found remnants and fossil-like imprints where i could have gotten a 5v board, but no luck on actually obtaining one. I've got to come up with something that works fairly quickly as its left us with around 8000 plants to do by hand :/

anyone have some quick work-arounds for this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

So far the only thing I can think of is to cut a db25 cable open and pull out the wires for pins 1 and 17, (the outputs for mist and flood coolant, which im using to pull relays for an air cylinder and the conveyor) and slap in 2 small 3v relays and inject 5v to the geckodrive.
Re: 3.3v parallel port help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 09:17:02 PM »
Hi,
you might try PMDX. They stock, or used to stock, parallel port cards which were known to be a good match to Mach.

Another alternative is to use an external motion controller like a UC100. They plug into the USB port of the PC and have a DB25 socket for output.
You might say its a USB to parallel converter, but in fact the UC100 has a proper FPGA inside and is way WAY WAY cleverer than any USB-parallel converter.
USB-parallel converters do not work for Mach by the way.

If a UC100 appeals then buy a genuine one, not one of the Chinese fakes on Ebay or Amazon....they are just not a patch on the real thing.

So far the only thing I can think of is to cut a db25 cable open and pull out the wires for pins 1 and 17, (the outputs for mist and flood coolant, which im using to pull relays for an air cylinder and the conveyor) and slap in 2 small 3v relays and inject 5v to the geckodrive.

If your going to do that don't waste your time trying to find 3V relays, use a bipolar transistor or a MOSFET and amplify the signal. One transistor and maybe a couple of resistors per
signal and your done.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: 3.3v parallel port help
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 11:44:59 AM »
Thanks Craig, i like the idea of a few transistors a lot! should be able to pull the 5v from a usb port and make a funky powered cable.
Next time the computer dies in a few years ill look at getting the usb system, but this should get me up and running for now.