Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:37:33 PM

Author Topic: Mach4+ESS / Homing Error- Motor Not Enabled  (Read 1228 times)

Mach4+ESS / Homing Error- Motor Not Enabled
« on: March 06, 2023, 02:09:43 PM »
I must be missing something obvious... Setting up Mach4/ ESS.  Copied all the settings over from mach3. I can jog on all axes, limit switches fire appropriately when I jog too far. Everything seems good until I attempt to home the axes. I get the following error:
!!!!!!!ESS: Homing Prep FAILED for Axis 2 - ESS Motor 2 - MOTOR NOT ENABLED!!!!!!

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, latest versions of Mach4 and ESS
Motors are set to home 2(Z), 0(X), 1(Y).
I have looked at the few other posts regarding this error, but nothing seems to fit my situation. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 02:18:07 PM by bayougirl »
Re: Mach4+ESS / Homing Error- Motor Not Enabled
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 02:22:01 PM »
Hi,
you are using wx4.set a four axis screen set, but only have a three axis machine. You have to disable homing for the A axis because you don't have one.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »
Hi,
open the Control plugin/Homing,Softlimits tab and disable (set to zero) A axis homing.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 03:44:40 PM »
I'll check that as soon as I get home...The screenset I am using is the wxrouter.set. Hope that solves it! thx
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 06:51:48 PM »
Axes A,B&C were all included in the homing.  I set them to 0 and restarted everything... now when I attempt to home, i first get an ESS error: "Homing setup failure. No home switch is assigned to that input.", then "referencing is complete", then a repeat of the error above.

from a fresh start of mach 4, the history shows:
E-Stop cleared!
Home switch X Home tripped!
Home switch X Home tripped!
Home switch Y Home tripped!
Home switch Z Home tripped!
Limit switch X ++ tripped!
Limit switch Y ++ tripped!
Limit switch Z ++ tripped!
Limit switch X -- tripped!
Limit switch Y -- tripped!
E-Stop condition!
E-Stop cleared!
E-Stop cleared!
ESS: Mach4 Enabled
!!!!!!!ESS: Homing Prep FAILED for Axis 2 - ESS Motor 2 - MOTOR NOT ENABLED!!!!!!
-----ESS: ERROR!  No ESS Motor being homed!!! Homing will probably not work...
!!!!!!!ESS: Homing Prep FAILED for Axis 0 - ESS Motor 0 - MOTOR NOT ENABLED!!!!!!
-----ESS: ERROR!  No ESS Motor being homed!!! Homing will probably not work...

Is this a normal progression?  lol. I assume the initial "...tripped notices" are just the ESS getting caught up with the restart of Mach4?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »
here's my homing tab
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »
Hi,
well the homing tab looks OK, how about posting a screnshot of your Homing switch inputs?

Craig
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 08:11:03 PM »
All of my limit switches communicate on port1-pin10.  I've attached the ESS inputs screen as well as the Control>Inputs.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:02:48 PM »
Hi,
What's going on? You have just one input for ALL the Limits and Homes....how is that supposed to work?

How does Mach know for instance that its intended that the X axis home switch operates , it could just as easily be the Y-- switch, Mach can't possibly know.

I have three Home switches, one for each axis, each on their own ESS input. I have 6 Limit switches, two per axis for all three axes, there again each on their own input,
for a total of nine inputs. Then Mach knows exactly which switch operated and what that portends.

You need to re-think how you are going to Home your machine...this arrangement is sub-par.

I would recommend in the first instance just forget the limit switches altogether. Just have three Home switches, one per axis each on their own input. That will allow Mach
to Home as intended. Thereafter use SoftLimits. Note that SoftLimits ONLY MAKE SENSE IF THE MACHINE IS HOMED.

You have a ESS that has a total of 51 inputs and outputs, there is no need to economize, they are there to be used so use them.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 09:42:48 PM »
Thanks for the response and taking the time to take a look.  I wasn't the one who set it up originally, but to be fair it has worked fine this way with Mach3.  Of course, you are correct that the system has no way of knowing which limit has been hit.