Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:07 AM

Author Topic: cutting aluminium with plasma  (Read 5386 times)

Offline dja

•  18 18
    • View Profile
cutting aluminium with plasma
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »
i am wondering if anyone has figured out the best settings for a clean cut in aluminium with a plasma
i am getting a feathered finish and dont like having to clean the parts
let me know what works best
i am using a hypetherm 1650
Re: cutting aluminium with plasma
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:10:13 AM »
A friend of mine has a plasma cam and we had the same problem on .5" 6061 T6.  They do a beautiful job on steel but turns aluminum into putty while cutting. :-\

Robert

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »
Try using nitrogen in stead of compressed air. Ideally, waterjet is the best for aliminium, but you can get good results with the HPR high definition plasma machines from Hypertherm. These units employ mixed gases like hydrogen, argon, methane to give a smooth cut.
If you want some more info, speak to your Hyperterm consultant in your area or go on the web to www.hypertherm.com. I sell these units on CNC machines as I am a Hypertherm OEM business partner, and also do the product support in my area.
If you can post a photo of the type of cut you are getting, I will tell you if you can get better with the Powermax1650.

Whacko for Hypertherm
Nothing's impossible

Offline BLM

•  37 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
Hi Wacko,
       I know this is old but I'll give it a shot. I bought an HD3070 with automatic gas console. I'm planning to put it on my homebuilt 4'X10' cnc stepper driven table. I'm using a Dell all-in-one mounted in a fiberglass enclosure with ethernet smooth stepper motion controller. My stepper wiring and limit switch wiring is shielded cable. The 3070 torch only has a 8-10' lead so the HF console will have to be mounted on my gantry only 4' from the PC. what is your opinions/pointers or ideas about all that? Thanks in advance! Brian Martin

Offline BLM

•  37 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
Trying to send some pics of what I have.
/Users/brianmartin/Pictures/DSC00485.JPG
/Users/brianmartin/Pictures/DSC00452.JPG
/Users/brianmartin/Pictures/DSC00459.JPG

Offline BLM

•  37 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
Does anybody else have any input? Please!