Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 07:18:05 AM

Author Topic: Comunicate MACH4 with Motion Control PLC  (Read 313 times)

Comunicate MACH4 with Motion Control PLC
« on: February 23, 2023, 02:57:05 PM »
Hi all.

I use Omron NX PLC as motion control unit, i need a software like MACH 4 to load G code to give coordinates from Mach 4 to the PLC, then in the PLC control the axis and send back to Mach 4 the feedback of the axis (just data) to follow the path of the axis.

PLC: https://industrial.omron.eu/en/products/nx1p
Ethercat Servos: https://industrial.omron.eu/en/products/1s-servo-motor

There is any plugin or a way to just comunicate Omron PLC with the software? My PLC has Modbus TCP, there is any way to do this with the Modbus plugin?

I just need to send X, Y, Z data and and some boolean data to the PLC and have the feedback from the controller.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:09:43 PM by saidcoya »
Re: Comunicate MACH4 with Motion Control PLC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 04:06:49 PM »
Hi,
all that could be done over MODBUS.

Why is it that you've gone to the trouble and expense of an Ethercat capable PLC and Ethercat servos and not have an Ethercat master?
Instead what you are doing is using a Step/Dir software solution, breaking that down in to MOBUS commands to go to an Ethercat PLC, and then
reverse the process back to Mach.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get the Mach4/Kingstar/IntervalZero Ethercat solution and then run the servos direct from Mach and avoid the PLC altogether.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 04:23:41 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

Its easier for me get a PLC like NX1P (basic version cost +/-500$) with logic and motion in one device, and its easier for us to purchase.

I was thinking more about the application and i dont mind about G comands, there is a way to send also G comand + X,Y,Z coordinates? I think i will have to make an interpeter on PLC for G commands to use the MC movement. I dont know if exist any reference to follow.

Modbus TCP plugin dont seem to be difficult to configurate.

Also, what i have to mark in Select Motion device in Mach 4 configuration? Need to load any plugin? Maybe ESS?

Any guide to follow?

Tanks Again
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 04:25:41 PM by saidcoya »
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 04:51:50 PM »
Hi,
you may not need a motion controller, all your output is going out of MODBUS and all feedback from the machine
is coming in from MODBUS. No motion control required??

You are inviting a lot of programming effort to write the Lua code neccessary to convert the MODBUS registers back into Machs DROs. You'll be
able to transmit coordinates to the PLC, again MODBUS registers, but not Gcode, Gcode is an alphanumeric data string, and I'm sure you could do that too, it would
be a major time commitment.

All in all the programming commitment both in Mach4 and also in the PLC count against what you want to do....not that its impossible.

Compare:

PLC  $500
PC  $400
Mach4Hobby $200
ESS (maybe??) $200
Programming cost???
TOTAL  $1100 minimum, maybe $1300 for hardware PLUS the cost of programming

PC Ethercat Master $1600
(includes Mach4Hobby, Kingstar runtime license, IvtervalZero runtime license, a medium modern PC (ex lease at a guess) and whiz-bang Ethernet card for Ethercat)

The cost saving of the PLC/Mach4Hobby is going to be swallowed and more by the programming cost, whereas using a PC Ethercat Master requires no extra programming.

The whole point of using Ethercat is to have an Ethercat Master....trying to do without it is counterproductive. You'd be better off with plain Step/Dir servos not Ethercat at all.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'