Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 09:15:28 PM

Author Topic: shifts / offsets after some machining time with CSMIO IP-M  (Read 951 times)

shifts / offsets after some machining time with CSMIO IP-M
« on: February 20, 2023, 02:34:20 AM »
Following the installation of a CSMIO IP-M controller on my cnc (6040), I have shifts in the working origin after a certain machining time (about 1 hour with a lot of circle machining). This offset is in X, Y and Z and is always in the same proportions (about 5mm on all axes, positive offset in X and negative in Y and Z). Despite several attempts to adjust the motors (step/mm, velocity and acceleration) I still have these lags. There are no mechanical hard points on any axis (it worked fine with the old interpcnc controller).
The attempted machining is on a work surface of approximately 400 x 550 and with 25 holes of 22mm diameter and 18mm depth.
I use Mach3.
What can I check / change?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: shifts / offsets after some machining time with CSMIO IP-M
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 04:10:16 PM »
Your steps/mm are a fixed number and once set should never need changing.  A simple calculation gets you the correct figure based on number of pulses for one rotation of the leadscrew divided by pitch.

In most cases upping the acceleration time and/or reducing velocity is the fix.  Try doubling the accel time by reducing the value by half.  If you set it very low e.g. 25 you will see and hear it ramp up and down.

The other thing to watch is we can have too many microsteps, depending on the resolution you need and the pitch of the screw its not necessary to have more than 400 as this with 5mm pitch screws will give 0.0125mm resolution as an example, the benefit is the torque of the motor it much higher and lost steps are less likely.

The other problem can be the drivers getting hot and breaking down, do you have a good fan blowing over the drive fins?

Without engineers the world stops
Re: shifts / offsets after some machining time with CSMIO IP-M
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 01:21:31 PM »
Thank Graham for your answer.
Wojtek from Cs-Lab find the problem, it was a bad setup about "Setp Low Active".
You could find his answer here: https://en.cs-lab.eu/forum/topic/shifts-offsets-after-some-machining-time-with-csmio-ip-m/

Thank you again!