Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 04:35:08 AM

Author Topic: Base PC for Mach 4 query  (Read 345 times)

Base PC for Mach 4 query
« on: February 13, 2023, 09:01:08 AM »
Hi all,

I have been plodding on with earlier version of Mach4 on an XP PC but would like to update the software to latest version.  I was looking at something like the attached PC, has anyone tried these units?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B7WNRYZ8/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A1KL28GI0X8E83&psc=1

Regards

Steven
Re: Base PC for Mach 4 query
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:46:28 PM »
Hi,
I run my machine on a Dual core Atom single board mini-ITX PC, with no graphics card, ie on chip graphics.
This PC wouldn't 'pull the skin off a rice pudding' and yet it runs my machine fine. The only time I ever notice just how gutless the PC is
is when I load a largish file, say 5MB, it can take the best part of a minute, but thereafter it works fine.

It would be hopless for a general purpose machine, CAD/CAM etc....but I run Mach4 and a few auxiliary apps alone on it.

The bottom line is that mach4 is not a power hungry application. What the PC needs is to be uncluttered with software, either running or installed, and
any non-essential services, so that the PC can service Mach4 on a regular basis. Any hiccup that causes the PC to be 'off doing some other thing' will result in your motion
controller running out of data, usually fatal.

The PC you've linked to will work fine. Can I have one too?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Base PC for Mach 4 query
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 07:36:14 AM »
I run my shop CNC, and two lasers on an Intel NUC with Windows 10, 8 Gb memory and 250 Gb SSD. Yours looks about the same.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:42:08 AM by wmgeorge »
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.