Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:06:49 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 using Galil servo card  (Read 13808 times)

Mach3 using Galil servo card
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
Anyone cuirrently using Mach 3 with a Galil controller? (and interested in giving me some feedback/reccomendations) I saw there was a plugin for their PCI and Eithernet version cards and would like to hear from someone who has been happy with the results. I picked up an antique DMC630 just to start tinkering but suspect I'll have to at least get a pci version if I get serious about putting it on a machine.
Thanks in advance. This site seems to be filled with a lot of bright tinkerer's.   Greg.
Re: Mach3 using Galil servo card
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
I could not be happier! I sold the Camsoft controller and am waiting for an updated Galil from Brian though I am milling parts to the 10th!
G02& G03 took a little time to get accurate./ combination of tuning at the Amp level(Galil) & Mach.

Very solid program Mach, Camsoft should beware!
David
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:51:09 PM »
I'm looking for info on the Galil interface.
I have the Galil installed and working with the Galil servo tune package well.
The Mach3 can see all the limit switches but I don't see the axis encoders or the E-stop (abort) line.

What port and pin numbers do you use in the configuration/inputs page when using the Galil?
  Thanks,
   Tom

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:31:32 AM »
There is nothing to configure for the main encoder signals. Mach reads them and pops them into the main DROs automatically. You do need to enable all the motor outputs (just check to enable them, leave the rest alone), and enable all your limits/home in the Input Signals tab.  The 'Encoder Position' DRO displayed on the 'Settings Alt6' is displaying the auxiliary encoder registers from the Galil. However, the Galil 'Econo' series boards do not have auxiliary encoder inputs so these registers are used to convey the extended I/O inputs to the Mach-Galil plug-in. Do you have the extended I/O board?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
I'm using a DMC1750 full version.
I wired the encoders to the main encoder inputs not the aux encoder inputs.  Do I need to also run them to the aux inputs for Mach to see them?
The limits are working correctly but I don't see the E-Stop (abort on the galil?)
How are the inputs and outputs mapped?  Dose the pin # = the input # on the galil?
  Thanks for the help...
    Tom

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
You won't 'see' the main encoders directly with Mach III. Mach's DROs will reflect the inferred position however. When you home the system both the Galil's Mach's position registers are zeroed (and synced).  When processing a movement command Mach will ask the Galil to move a certain amount, which the Galil will do. So, still the Mach DRO and Galil position register are in sync. If the Galil cannot complete the move then an error signal will be sent to Mach and Mach will stop. In short, while Mach is not directly displaying the Galil position register (which would not be that great anyhow as it would just be encoder counts) it does know where the Galil is and displays that information in the DROs (nicely scaled to your units).

Are you jogging and not seeing the DROs change?

The built in Galil I/O is mapped to the standard Mach I/O (Input/Output 1-16). Just enable them in Ports and Pins.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
Thanks, that explains it.  I was just manually moving the axis without drive enabled and I could watch the axis counters in the galil terminal program but not in Mach. 

This is looking pretty easy...
 Regards,
  Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
My machine (Bridgeport Discovery 300 VMC) which only has limit swiches and no home switches -- the original controller doubled up this purpose.  As part of my retrofit (7+ years algo) the Camsoft S/W required both limit and home, so I added the additonal switches.  I now want to use Mach 3 (guess why!) -- When I setup Mach 3, can I go back to the way the machine was originally?  Reason: the only switches I could mount, due to limited space, were those little micro switches with roller bearing ends -- they are not vibration and contaminate safe.  I rather just get rid of them.
--Scott
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:19 AM »
I use those limit switches as well. They have been bathed in coolant and chips for years never have they failed. I've hit them pretty hard too. I use them with ramp stops on the ways so one switch works for both ways. that way I can use a seperate switch for home and limit just mount them over and under and they stay static the aluminum ramps mount to the table so I have no cable movement. I have not posted in awhile as I am backlogged with work. Have never been more consistent than I am now with Galil and Mach 3.  For all my 2d one off I use alibre and Alibre cam as I can change the drawing at the control parametrically and the code updates. OneCNC when I am not on the shop floor.
Thanks Brian & Art. Good Work!!!!!! :)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »
farreach, I built a little logic converter board for my BP 308 conversion that gives three separate outputs for two limit/home inputs. I am going to rework it a bit to add in some opto-isolators so I can run the switches at 24 volts and still provide 5V to the Galil. I'd be glad to share the schematics when I'm done.