Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 10:51:21 AM

Author Topic: How does G30 work?  (Read 871 times)

Re: How does G30 work?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 04:49:35 PM »
Doing some testing just now; starting at Variable #5041, they change when I change the work coordinate system. 
I set my work offsets as G54 X, Y, and Z as 1.00, G55 all 2.00, G56 all 3.00.  It updates the #5041-#5043 appropriately. 
Check and see if you get the same results.

Also, I've never used G30 with a G90, so I had no idea that it would work with G90 nor did I know the behavior (obviously); that's pretty cool.

How are you liking the extensions?  I have little need for them.  The only one that looked interesting to me was Rotary. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:53:20 PM by Cbyrdtopper »
Chad Byrd
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »
Hi,
I had been doing some testing also and like you I had populated the fixture table:

G54 x=1 y=1.1 z=1.2
G55 x=2 y=2.1 z=2.2
G56 x=3 y=3.1 z=3.2

And like you I found that the #5041, #5042 and #5043  reflect the current position in work coords and that they changed whenever the current (G54, G55,G56...) work
coord set changes.

So I confirm the same stuff that you have found. What it does not do is tell me which G54,G55, G56 .....is active at the current time even though #5041-#5043 reflect
the current G54,G55 etc.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 05:04:15 PM »
There is a variable that tells you which work offset is active…. It is modal information. Look at #4000-#4025 or so. It may be listed as 1 for 54 and 2 for 55 etc…. Currently headed home from work so I can’t check in Mach.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 05:23:50 PM »
Hi,

It is modal information. Look at #4000-#4025 or so. It may be listed as 1 for 54 and 2 for 55 etc…. Currently headed home from work so I can’t check in Mach.

Bloody magic....thanks.

Craig
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 05:31:27 PM »
Hi,

How are you liking the extensions?  I have little need for them.  The only one that looked interesting to me was Rotary.

Well, that's a bit of a question. Autodesk really did sort of pursue me to get me to buy the extensions. Even the introductory offer was $1900NZD ( about $1200USD)
at the time. In reality I have not used them for several months.......which is just plain stupid of me.....I've paid big dollars for extra capacity and then not used it?

I set up fourth axis with a stepper, but the stepper was inclined to stall and was pretty slow. I've just bought, taken delivery and installed a new servo for the fourth axis,
and now it performs really well. It has taken some months for me to put aside the money for the upgrade out of personal funds, and really I cannot burden the business
with this expense as I have yet to prove that it will be a money maker....yet.

Anyway the upshot is that I'm starting to use it now. That's why I've suddenly started asking questions about G30, as I need to understand it to use the Fusion post.

The first thing that I've noted is that you have to be quite considered when you CAD your part. It may make sense to have the coordinate system oriented in one direction
and fixed at a particular vertex lets say only to find that when you go to CAM the part that the coordinate orientation or vertex location introduces some mind bending
complexities. As it turns out, just like using regular 3 axis CAM Fusion can accommodate those sorts of things....but it takes some time to discover all those procedures.

All-in all I am pretty happy with what I've seen. The toolpath editing functions are something that I'm likely to use. The question remains can I either generate a business case
for renewing the subscription, especially now that the introductory offer has been used, or alternately save the money out of personal finances before the subscription renewal
middle-end of July?

Craig
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 05:42:52 PM »
Hi,
the answer is #4014.

With G54 active #4014=54
With G55 active #4014=55
With G56 active #4014=56    etc.

There's still some coding to do but I think now I have all the bits and pieces I need to be able to automate the clearance.

Thanks  Cbyrdtopper, as always, a pleasure to correspond.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:46:27 PM by joeaverage »
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »
Good stuff Craig! 
I couldn’t remember which variable it was nor could I remember what it output. I’ve used it a bit for making macro programs, I will probably update a couple of probing macros tomorrow with this refreshed knowledge haha.
I do a lot of 4th axis work with Fusion. I don’t use the extensions at all. I get by without them (also, I had no idea they cost that much).
You just need to be sure that you set your WCS at the center of rotation. My z and y offsets never change on my machines, just the x for part location.   So that is pretty easy.   I’ve played with rotary when it was in preview and used it a couple of times.  Pretty handy. But I’m not paying that price tag for it. I’ll get by without it.

Servos are for sure the way to go, we use steppers for applications where I don’t need to worry about high speed, but here lately, everything I need done needs to be done relatively quickly… so servos it is.  But it is a business expense fortunately for me so no personal funds for that.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 06:50:31 PM »
Hi,

I’ve played with rotary when it was in preview and used it a couple of times.  Pretty handy. But I’m not paying that price tag for it. I’ll get by without it.

If I'm not mistaken you can still use four axis, indexing only, with the basic subscription.

I make parts for automotive instruments and my CNC mill is invaluable, I'd go broke for sure without the ability to make the parts I do. Some of the parts
I use, particularly for speedometer cables, are now almost impossible to source new, and even those that are available are all from overseas suppliers.
If COVID has taught us anything is that its extremely important to retain as much capability in-house, or at least locally. For this reason if I can add
four axis capability, it's not so much that there is the volume of work to make money, but rather if I  retain capability, which in turn allows me to continue
whereas I'd be watching money making jobs going begging for lack of capability.

Craig