Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 11:29:28 AM

Author Topic: Setting up and running surface mapping  (Read 735 times)

Setting up and running surface mapping
« on: January 11, 2023, 07:06:06 PM »
I am running the latest version of Mach4 with ESS/M3B. Trying to run surface mapping. I set up X and Y Min. and Max. but can't find any information on setting up Z axis.
I did run Z to table and hit the Z tick and set my Z height above the table. When I run the app the probe goes to the table, the probe light comes on the the probe drags to the next position then drags to the next position and same same same. The probe never lifts the descends to check the height. The probe keeps dragging and never lifts.
Any one having this issue or please direct me to the exact direction on using the surface mapping feature.
Re: Setting up and running surface mapping
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 02:46:39 PM »
in the "Traverse z" box enter the machine coordinates of the height you want the probe to move at (clears the surface at all points) in the "Max Prob dist" box put how far you want the probe to move from "traverse z" down to the surface.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 10:01:37 AM »
Finally had time today to hopefully get this figured out. I have entered the Z Start and Probe Distance. Same thing, the machine goes to home, the probe comes down and makes contact. The probe light comes on at the ESS board, but the probe never raises. It just drags it to the next position, stops, does not raise, then moves to the next position, over and over.
Thank you for the response, got any ideas?
Chris
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:20:50 AM »
Finally had time today to hopefully get this figured out. I have entered the Z Start and Probe Distance. Same thing, the machine goes to home, the probe comes down and makes contact. The probe light comes on at the ESS board, but the probe never raises. It just drags it to the next position, stops, does not raise, then moves to the next position, over and over.
Thank you for the response, got any ideas?
Chris

I had the exact same issue it drove me absolutely nuts. What I ended up doing was a clean install with the recommended settings from the ESS website for which plug-in version and mach version to use. If I could figure out how to send you my profile I would cuz I know how frustrating it is. The other thing that helped at one point although I resolved was to add a little debounce to the probe trigger it would let me get two or three probe strikes before it failed LOL but it's definitely a plug-in for the ESS and Mach version issue.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 02:47:55 PM »
Nice suggestion, I started from scratch. Backed everything up. Went to Warp9 sight to download the ESS plugin. Was reading over the install procedure again (it's been a while since I installed it). Ran across this notice-

NOTE!!!! Build 5000 is having probing issues with the ESS plugin... Mach4 Build 4809 with ESS 283 is what we are recommending at the moment. January 15th, 2023

ESS build 284 was released November 20th for use with Mach4 build 5000.  Not recommended at the moment

Seeing everything else is working good I think I'll wait until they get this bug fixed.
I wonder if ESS 284 will work with the new Mach4 build 50036 (284 is the ver. I am running)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »
Nice suggestion, I started from scratch. Backed everything up. Went to Warp9 sight to download the ESS plugin. Was reading over the install procedure again (it's been a while since I installed it). Ran across this notice-

NOTE!!!! Build 5000 is having probing issues with the ESS plugin... Mach4 Build 4809 with ESS 283 is what we are recommending at the moment. January 15th, 2023

ESS build 284 was released November 20th for use with Mach4 build 5000.  Not recommended at the moment

Seeing everything else is working good I think I'll wait until they get this bug fixed.
I wonder if ESS 284 will work with the new Mach4 build 50036 (284 is the ver. I am running)

Yes that's the thing that they're saying use a specific build number. Use the ESS plugin and the version of Mach they recommend right there and it works. Any other combination you'll be scratching your head for hours
On the flip side of that you can use the screen from the 5000 which is a little nicer than the mach version suggested
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 03:51:28 PM »
I have been all over the Artsoft sight looking for the Mach4 4809 build that they want you to run but can't find any old builds.
This is what Warp9 has posted-

ESS Mach4 Plugin, build 285 <-Currently recommended. Compiled for Mach4 4809
Do you know where the old builds are?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,200 9,200
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 01:18:45 AM »
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 11:01:51 AM »
Thank you for the info. I must have read right over that. My eyes aren't what they use to be. So now the dilemma, it took me a month a couple years ago to get my machines running to this point after upgrading to the ESS and Mach4. So do I uninstall Mach and start all over again?  If I install plugin V298 will it fix my surfacing problem with my Mach4 ver. 50036. Either way programming the ESS is a nightmare and really don't want to go through that again.
Chris

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,200 9,200
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 02:00:23 AM »
I must have read right over that.

No worries, I think we are all guilty of that  ;)

If I install plugin V298 will it fix my surfacing problem with my Mach4 ver. 50036.

I think you will have to try it and see.
Warp9 say they have now fixed the problem but compatability issues between Mach4 builds and ESS builds still lurk.

Tweakie.
PEACE