Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 06:50:22 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of AXBB-E ethernet motion controller  (Read 2067 times)

Thinking of AXBB-E ethernet motion controller
« on: January 06, 2023, 10:24:30 AM »
I have a PMDX USB controller now running on Mach4, I love it when I can get it to connect but that is rare. Would like to go with the AXBB-E because its Ethernet and I can still use Mach4 I hope.  Using a Intel NUC now on all my CNC / Laser stuff and its wonderful. Does the AX board just take a standard 6 pin CAT connection?

The rest I can figure out, Thanks.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.
Re: Thinking of AXBB-E ethernet motion controller
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
Opps its a standard 8 pin CAT and it looks like it does run on Mach4. Sorry for the  question.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 03:31:29 PM »
Hi,
the ESS has both a Mach3 plugin and a Mach4 plugin and has supported Mach exclusively since the company's formation some fifteen years ago.
CNCDrive, the manufacturer of the UC100, UC400, UC300 and the AXBB-E is more of a 'Johnny Come Lately' by comparison
and CNCDrive's Mach4 plugins for their controllers have shortcomings relative to the Warp9TD plugin, single point lathe threading, THC, laser ops for
example.

The AXBB-E has two ports worth of IO, ie 34 inputs and outputs whereas the ESS has three ports worth, ie 51 inputs and outputs.

Is there a reason that you would not consider a more capable motion controller?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »
Yes Craig the Warp9 requires an additional board, a BoB as you know for connections and my controller box is already very tight for space.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 04:54:38 PM »
Hi,
yes the ESS requires, or rather benefits from a breakout board. Attached is the picture of my ESS (the green board) atop the LED board and main breakout board.
It is my own design and make.

It has six axis (X,Y,Z,A,B,C) differential outputs, and alarm input for each axis, an ENABLE signal commoned to all axes, a RESET signal commoned to all axes,
an ON/OFF relay contact for the spindle, a PWM output for the spindle, four general purpose outputs capable of sourcing or sinking 50mA at 24V, and 25 general purpose 24V (sourcing 5mA)
inputs. Works a treat.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 06:04:31 PM »
Very nice but I do not have a CNC lathe so do not need threading, I have used some of those other boards you referenced (UC100, UC400, UC300 ) and did not have any issues. The only issues I have now are with the Made in USA controller I purchased. I think there are other folks on here using the AXBB-E controller without problems. So for my present project I will either go with it or just sell the machine as needs a controller board. Thanks for your help.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 05:33:32 AM »
how about something like this: https://www.cncdrive.com/UC300ETH.html
Regards
Charlie M.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 08:06:10 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion but the AXBB-E has it all in one package board.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »
I did go with the UC400 ETH and a separate BoB they sell all on order.  I think the 400 is easier to use in my case because of the mounting.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 05:05:05 PM »

Is there an active forum like this for UCCNC? If so where are I am  wondering since their software supports a laser I would be better off going that route??