Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:56:27 AM

Author Topic: Help Please!!! X and Y axis move in one direction  (Read 2219 times)

Help Please!!! X and Y axis move in one direction
« on: December 24, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to get my Harbor Freight Mini Mill converted to CNC. I am using Mach3 as my software on a Win7 PC. I have the Z axis moving smooth yet X and Y only move in one direction. I feel its a configuration issue because, I swapped connections between drivers and the same two axis aren't working. I also check to see if there's any breaks in the wire by checking continuity. I have everything wired according to the schematics and instructions. I even swapped the motors around to see if the issue was motor related and that all worked all fine on the Z axis connector. I removed the breakaway connector on the drivers and installed them to the Z axis driver and they worked as well. I mean it could very well be the drivers for X and Y that are defective. But would like to see if my configurations are wrong before I start ordering parts. I get movement in one direction on the X and Y.

I configured my motors as follow on Mach 3:

Port Setup & Axis Selection:
X Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 2 - Dir Pin #3 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Y Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 2 - Dir Pin #3 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Z Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 2 - Dir Pin #3 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1

Using these components:
(3) KL23H286-20-8B Stepper Motors
(3) DM556 Drivers
C10 Breakout Board

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please!!! X and Y axis move in one direction
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »
Try it like this:-

X Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 2 - Dir Pin #3 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Y Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 4 - Dir Pin #5 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Z Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 6 - Dir Pin #7 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »
Try it like this:-

Y Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 4 - Dir Pin #5 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1
Z Axis - Enabled Checked - Step Pin# 6 - Dir Pin #7 - Dir LowAction Checked  - StepLowAction Checked - Step Port 1 - Dir Port 1

Lol That was a typo. I just copied and pasted the first entry and changed the Axis letter. I actually have it wired how you wrote it down. Sorry.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 04:48:06 AM »
here:
http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/1_C10R10.PDF

is a very basic connection diagram, just to double check your wiring.

the X/Y Dro's are going up and down if you press cursor key's?

do you have a possibilty to measure dir outpout's with a multimeter?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
here:
http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/1_C10R10.PDF

is a very basic connection diagram, just to double check your wiring.

the X/Y Dro's are going up and down if you press cursor key's?

do you have a possibilty to measure dir outpout's with a multimeter?

It does show movement on the Mach3 DRO but, not on the physical stepper motor. I could most definitely check for outputs with a multimeter. What should I be seeing as far as amperage at the DIR?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 12:37:12 PM »
First thing to check is if you are getting a change in voltage on the Dir inputs on the drives, using the keyboard arrow keys you should see the dir change as you change axis direction.

Are you sure you have the clock and dir the right way round?

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »
First thing to check is if you are getting a change in voltage on the Dir inputs on the drives, using the keyboard arrow keys you should see the dir change as you change axis direction.

Are you sure you have the clock and dir the right way round?

Yes, I'm sure. It's wired exactly how you mentioned it. My Z axis is functioning correctly. It's just the X and the Y axis that aren't. I will test with a voltmeter to verify that it's getting a signal at the driver's DIR Pin.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 06:44:40 AM »
you should measure something about 5V DC in one direction and about 0V in the other.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »
on my Z axis I get 0.00v on and when a direction is pressed I get 4.5v  but on the others I get 3.60v and nothing is pressed.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 08:35:46 PM »
okay so, I was checking the voltage at the DIR- and DIR+ Pin and got around 1.8 to 2.2v when I press the keypad in one direction and 0.0v when I hit the other direction. But Im assuming that's correct because it's set to half current on the jumpers which is 2.5v. but Im not getting any readings when I press the key towards the opposite direction on all three drivers. But, Z axis is till working in both directions. But, X and Y only work in one directions.