Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 05:18:15 PM

Author Topic: Need help!!! Mach3 to Mach4 spindle vfd pwm trouble  (Read 398 times)

Need help!!! Mach3 to Mach4 spindle vfd pwm trouble
« on: December 22, 2022, 12:32:02 PM »
I have a Shopmaster Patriot with gecko 540 controller. My computer with mach3 died so I replaced computer and of course Mach3 will not work on win 10 so I upgraded to Mach4 and smoothstepper ESS board. I have installed everything and done the setup and gotten everything to work so far execpt the spindle.
It was working fine in Mach3. I have the dirrection and on-off working but cannot get the PWM to control the speed.
The output is on pin 14 and when I change the active state of 14 to high the VFD goes to full speed so it looks like the pin is correct.
I set the spindle speed to 300 rpm and turn on the clockwise or counterclockwise and the VFD turns on and changed direction but speed mever goes off 0.
I've been working on this for a day and going nuts.
Can anyone help me with wahat to set to get the PWM working?
Thanks very much
Re: Need help!!! Mach3 to Mach4 spindle vfd pwm trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »
In the meantime I thought about it and tried to set the speed up to 1000 and it seem like it is working but its turning very slow. I'm now trying to figure out how to make it turn the correct speed.
If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 01:43:02 PM »
Ok guess I solved it myself.
The spindle speed was set to 25000 rpm and mine only goes to 2500 rpm. Ehat makes the scale more correct now. 8)

GOOMBA

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 03:22:08 PM »
Correct, if you're having issues with the PWM signal the first thing you can measure is your duty cycle.
The duty cycle is dependent on the max spindle speed you set coupled with the commanded speed.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 06:04:12 PM »
Actually Mach3 works fine under Win10 using an external motion controller.   When I retired my old xp pc with parallel port I bought a dell mini and use the uc100 on lathe and mill.