Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:13:07 AM

Author Topic: what version of Mach3 do I need  (Read 20437 times)

what version of Mach3 do I need
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »
Can someone (if there is anyone out there) please tell me what version of Mach3 I need, what plugin version and what firmware version I need presently to get my servo system running, at least just a little.  Ports and pins numbers?  I can pay you for 50 bucks for enough information to get things working! 

As you can tell I'm getting desperate.  I don't even care if I can't do homing etc.  Just want to move an axis or two, or even get my dro to show a jog move,...SOMETHING!  Sorry for sounding upset about things.  It just gets to you after a while.  There's precious little information to go on.

Sincerely,

Frank
Re: what version of Mach3 do I need
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
Hey Frank,

I just started looking at Mach3 today but, if you have stepper motors rather than DC servo motors, the first two tutorials will have you up and running in a couple hours. If, on the other hand, you have DC servo motors like I do (I have the Vital Systems MOTENC-Lite and DC servo motors) then it's not quite that easy.

From everything I have read so far, Mach3 doesn't support closed loop at all so you need something like the GeckoDrive controllers which provides the servo loop but accepts step and direction inputs.

If anyone knows of any drivers for Mach3 that support a closed loop servo I would also like to hear about it.

Pete
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
Hi Pete,

Sorry, I must have been tired the night I made that post.  I completely forgot to mention that I am using an ncpod along with Mach3, but because the ncpod is still experimental and there is very little information on getting it up and running, I am at a stand still.  My servos are set up with Gecko drives and holding strong, I just need to get a step and direction signal from Mach3 into the ncpod via the usb port. 

I actually had no problem getting a servo system running on Mach via the parallel port a few years ago, but wanted better performance this time around, so I decided to go with the ncpod controller board and take advantage of its reported better performance.  I may end up having to throw away the ncpod and just use the parallel port due to lack of information.

Thanks,

Frank
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »
Hey Frank,

I think this link has everything you need.  http://ncpod.oemtech.com/

Pete
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
Yes, I have been there and have followed directions to no avail.  I also have read pretty much everything out there and and have set up ports and pins accordingly.  It may be something simple, but without an active user forum I am stuck.

Frank

Offline drew

•  79 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
Frank , I don't have a pod but you may have better luck with help if you post your setup info as best you can. Most of the guys here will respond if they feel they can help but they need info to evalulate you setup. Thanks Drew
If I had something important to say it would be here.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:49:53 AM »
Hi Frank, I have contacted a member that has succesfully set up a pod. I hope he will chime in soon. I haven't messed with a pod myself.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:34 PM »
That would be great if he would chime in Bret.  In the mean time I have to deal with a fried ncpod.  The so called regulated 5 volt supply that I was using for the pod suddenly began to output 7.6 volts.  Blue light no longer comes on.  Thankfully Carl at Oemtech is going to send me a new one, so when I receive the new one I can get back to the setup task again.  Also, as Drew suggested it might be good to try to convey more details of my setup when I am ready.  Maybe Carl will give me a few hints too.

Frank
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »
Assuming that you have the step and direction lines correct I would guess that you don't have the +5 from the NCpod board connected to the all thecommon terminals of the G320's
dan Mauch
Camtronics Inc
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
I will check into that thoroughly when I receive the replacement ncpod, though I thought I had wired that correctly.  I'm guessing it will be a couple of weeks before I get my replacement up here in Canada.

Thanks!