Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:50:26 PM

Author Topic: Do I upgrade or not bother?  (Read 853 times)

Do I upgrade or not bother?
« on: December 16, 2022, 04:20:56 PM »
Ive been using Mach 3 for years. Always cautious I just need a push in the right direction please.

I still dont know how to build a wizard or macro. Thats me. In the constant desire to upgrade, my next mission is to install an ATC, the mechanics will be a piece of cake, the programming, well, I found the perfect person to help with Mach 3. I do need to upgrade my old BOB - the same BOB I have used for years. Its so full of inputs that I had to build a relay bank to accept both NO and NC inputs to put out one NC onto one pin ha

Anyways. My upgrade to an Ethernet Controller. If I remain with Mach 3 I have someone who can build the macros for the ATC, for a cost of course. If I upgrade to Mach 4 I have no idea what do do. Im not a novice installer but I would be reluctant if there is a whole heap of work to get my machine up and running with the upgrade. How hard will it be to get help to complete this mission should I upgrade to Mach 4 is my question. And then install a ATC. All the online recommendations point to Mach 4. My gut points to Mach 3 just because it would be easy with the help I have found.

The machine is being used for personal and commercial.
Re: Do I upgrade or not bother?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
programming for a ATC in mach3 is not a problem. I've even used it to control a Dorian 8 position turret. It has a bunch of interlocks and event driven commands to make it work. That machine uses an old Bob Campbell break out board and a second serial port for all the IO. You should be able to do what you want in Mach3, unless you just want to change over.
Re: Do I upgrade or not bother?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »
Hi,
Mach4 is a learning curve, and you'd hate it to start with but once you got up to speed you'd see that its light years ahead.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=42891.msg278176#msg278176

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'