Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:41:41 AM

Author Topic: Why has my CNC stopped working? Need help please.  (Read 911 times)

Why has my CNC stopped working? Need help please.
« on: November 28, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »
I have a small CNC that was built for me by a friend to learn with. I used it a few times and created a few small projects. It sat unused for about 6-8 months until I recently tried to use it but I cannot get it to move. Windows 7, 32bit, Parallel port cable, and usb cord. When I turn on the CNC I can see a light coming on and fan running on the power supply as well as a light on my break out board.  When Mach3 is running and the CNC is turned on all the stepper motors appear to have power to them as they freeze in their current position. When I use the keyboard to try to jog the motors I cannot get any of the stepper motors to move. Hitting the "page up" or "page down" keys do not cause the stepper motors to move. I checked all the wiring and they are all tight. I thought perhaps something might have happened to the break out board so I replaced it with an identical board but that didn't help.
I then replaced the parallel port cable but that didn't help. I've checked the parallel port address and although it was set at 0x378 I'm questioning if this is correct. I've never changed anything however when looking at my device manager on my PC it shows my parallel port address as either CC00 or C880 as seen in the screen shots here. I tried changing the address within Mach3 to match my PC but that still didn't get my stepper motors to jog. So...I'm kind of lost as to where to go from here. Any advise would be much appreciated. I'm very new to all of this but willing to learn.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:37:17 PM by tbfoto »
Re: Why has my CNC stopped working? Need help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
A few more images of my set up
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 04:59:22 AM »
 you could try to power up everything and then look at the diagnostics page in mach3 and see if you see anything going on.
Regards
Charlie M.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 07:23:52 PM »
Have you got the right profile loaded.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 09:41:43 PM »

Please download latest patched version of Mach 3
from
https://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/

I think some Microsoft Windows 7 Update might have killed your version of Mach 3.

Disable your antivirus when you install Mach 3 - right click and run as administrator.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:43:45 PM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"