Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 04:48:41 AM

Author Topic: First tests with Smooth Stepper and Mach4 2.500  (Read 816 times)

First tests with Smooth Stepper and Mach4 2.500
« on: November 26, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »
Today I started testing new version of Mach4.
They are doing a great job, it is constantly evolving!
I go to the point.
Is it possible with the smooth stepper ethernet to use potentiometers or similar to control the feed?
is it possible to connect a MPG for axis movement?
thank you!
Re: First tests with Smooth Stepper and Mach4 2.500
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 04:34:50 PM »
Hi,

Is it possible with the smooth stepper ethernet to use potentiometers or similar to control the feed?

No, it is one of the few shortcomings of an ESS, it does not have any analogue inputs.  If you are desperate to have analogue inputs then get yourself
a PoKeys 57E as an additional data input board.  A 57E has a number of analogue inputs. PoKeys has made its reputation as a data input boards, and only later exploited that
for CNC use.

Another alternative is to have two buttons, one causing the feed rate to increase and the other to cause the feed rate to decrease. This the ESS can
do without any additions.

is it possible to connect a MPG for axis movement?

Yes. The ESS has a total of 51 inputs and outputs. If you chose to assign ports two and three of the ESS as input centric, as I have done with my ESS, then you'll have
a total of 31 inputs. I constructed an MPG and it requires five inputs:
two inputs for A and B signals from the MPG
two inputs for the axis select, note I combined them digitally so the two inputs can uniquely identify four axes
one input for incremental/velocity jog modes.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 02:23:16 AM »
OK thanks!
I'm looking for information on Pokey
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 02:45:41 AM »
i just looked....
of course I'll have to add an ethernet port to the PC, but that's not a problem.
I assume it will have its own plugin.
How can I then specify to Mach4 which steering unit is the ESS, while for signals it must use the Pokeys57E??
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 02:53:30 AM »
Hi,
Mach4 requires and accepts just one motion control device, and you'd leave the ESS as that device.

The PoKeys board will have a plugin but will not be a motion controller just a data input board. It might pay to check with
PoKeys that they have a Mach4 ready plugin for this kind of service, ie NOT a motion controller.

Note that in this service the PoKeys cannot be expected to run in realtime synchronicity with the ESS. Any data inputs that are required
in realtime, things like limits, homes and probes MUST be connected to the ESS.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 04:08:23 AM »
thanks for the information.
I got the feeling of what you just told me.
you gave me confirmation.
Can you explain to me what Plugin Frequency is for in the ESS?
by default it is set to 40...
I tried entering 100 out of curiosity.
I haven't noticed a difference.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 02:12:45 PM »
Hi,

Can you explain to me what Plugin Frequency is for in the ESS?

The ESS reports data back to Mach and the PC. The plugin frequency refers to how often that reporting takes place. The ESS plugin
frequency is by default 40Hz, that is to say the data reporting occurs every 25ms. You can program the ESS to report more frequently,
and in your case you chose 100Hz or 10ms between data reports.

If there is some data that is time critical then increasing the plugin frequency is desirable, maybe as high as 200Hz or 5ms between reports.
The downside is that it places a distinct load on the PC. With a good PC not overburdened with extraneous software and/or services and a good
Ethernet card then increasing the frequency is reasonable. A more modest PC and particularly one with a cheap Ethernet card will struggle.

Unless there is s particular need to have the ESS report more frequently I wouldn't bother, and only really in in those circumstances where
you want live or nearly live reporting will you even notice the difference.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
you were very clear!
the pc is new again, medium / high range, I don't think it has any problems.
I have other questions to ask.. then I'll post some photos to make me understand better.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 04:04:15 AM »
Hello,
speaking of response times via the Pokeys, I want to clarify that even with the CsLab the analog controls are not immediate, they always have a slight delay (I'm talking about a few tenths of a second, noticeable especially during movements in G0, almost immediate during work movements G1 etc etc) despite being connected directly to the controller.
Let's get to the point:
before buying a Pokey I wanted to try the SmartASD that I have in my drawer... it would practically do the same function as the Pokeys.
the doubt remains.
1-How do I tell Mach4 that I want to use analog control for red and pink boxed controls?
2-how do you assign the keys of the PC keyboard in Mach4 to the functions with the yellow box?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:12:17 AM by daniba73 »
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 02:20:11 PM »
Hi,
ALL Windows PCs have a buffered motion system, with the motion buffer usually in the range of 100-300ms. A secondary source of latency is the
reporting time, the same as we have been discussing, the plugin frequency. Typically 5-50ms. Given that the reporting delay is much shorter it is very
easy to be unaware of it, the motion buffer is often noticable.

before buying a Pokey

Have you enquired of PoKey's whether they have a Mach4 plugin for data IO alone, ie NOT a motion controller? Without such a plugin a board would be useless
so you should establish that it WILL do as you want BEFORE you buy.

I wanted to try the SmartASD that I have in my drawer...

I have no idea what a SmartASD is. I can't find anything online about them. Does it have a Mach4 plugin? If not then its no good to you.

1-How do I tell Mach4 that I want to use analog control for red and pink boxed controls?

Each of those controls have a series of functions and actions which in combination cause them to work. If you inspect then in Screen Edit mode you can
see how they are arranged. You would probably retain the same basic structure but swap some of the built-in Mach code for your own code.

2-how do you assign the keys of the PC keyboard in Mach4 to the functions with the yellow box?

There is a good video that has been posted by Daz-the-Gaz about the use of the keyboard plugin which addresses that question.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

Craig