Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 01:35:38 AM

Author Topic: Units/Rev readout in Mach4?  (Read 571 times)

Units/Rev readout in Mach4?
« on: November 26, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
Hi I am farly new to Mach3/4 (just a few years) but have worked as a programmer for 38years.

In Mach3 there is a readout for Units/Rev. I find that useful for making shure that I dont go too slow on the feed and avoid rubbing.
I have now switched to Mach4 but find no similer readout.
I want to edit my screen to show a readout like that and need some help on how to calculate it or call some function to return it.
I have done some simple screen editing already.

Please point me to any relevant reading.

Thanks
Gaute
Norway

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: Units/Rev readout in Mach4?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »
I use fusion 360 for my cad/cam and in the tool library the settings for the tool gives you the tooth load ,derived from the rpm no. teeth and feed

note if you did not know its free for hobbyists ( you have to renew each year )

sorry if this is of no help
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »
Hi,

I want to edit my screen to show a readout like that and need some help on how to calculate it or call some function to return it.

That should be very possible. Have you had a chance to experiment with the 'Screen Edit' mode yet? Amongst the things that you can do is make your
own DRO and place it on any screen in any position you want. Then you can write code and put in the the PLC script which would calculate the feed/rev,
or even the chipload if you wanted use the number of flutes from the Tool Table, and continuously update the DRO.

Using Mach4 in this way is quite a learning curve......so be prepared with patience pills and/or lots of Bourbon, but is very satisfying.....eventually!. I suspect you'll be
very very pleasantly surprised at how flexible Mach4 is.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 07:09:57 AM »
Have you had a chance to experiment with the 'Screen Edit' mode yet?
Yes I have stared by building a setup screen that sets the Zero point for X, Y displaced by a laserspot mounted on the spindel fixture.
Also saving and reading back possitions. Making buttons for going to machine X/Y zero and beginning to learn about a touchoff sequence afte a manual tool change.
Then you can write code and put in the the PLC script which would calculate the feed/rev,
or even the chipload if you wanted use the number of flutes from the Tool Table, and continuously update the DRO.
Yes thats what I am looking for:
What variable or register og function would give me the feedrate and the  spindlespeed?
And would the calculation just be: feed divided by ( revolution multiplyed by number of flutes) ?
In the beginning I could pobably just start with a manual input of the number of flutes and read the tooltable later.

Thanks
Gaute
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 07:14:17 AM »
I use fusion 360 for my cad/cam and in the tool library the settings for the tool gives you the tooth load ,derived from the rpm no. teeth and feed

note if you did not know its free for hobbyists ( you have to renew each year )

sorry if this is of no help
Thanks

Yes I know Fusion 360 and I am also using OnShape for some tasks.
(OnShape are also free as long as your models would be awailable for everyone and it runs in the browser witout any need for installment)

What I need is the continous readout of the feed/Rev when manually adjusting the feed and spindlespeed.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Hi,

What variable or register og function would give me the feedrate and the  spindlespeed?
And would the calculation just be: feed divided by ( revolution multiplyed by number of flutes) ?

The raw data from which you would calculate the feed/rev is stored in registers within Mach. They are commonly called pound variables, and can be viewed/edited at:

Diagnostic/Regfile/#Variables.

I have composed various lists which include the assignment of (some) pound variables:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=40051.0

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »
This is from 2019 when I stole the idea from our Haas controller.
But this should point you in the right direction.
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=39225.msg263622#msg263622

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=46235.msg292588#msg292588

Also, the info and link Craig provided is highly useful!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:13:17 AM by Cbyrdtopper »
Chad Byrd
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 06:15:07 AM »
THANKS!

I will check it out!

G