Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:30:58 AM

Author Topic: Newbie guidance request  (Read 1115 times)

Newbie guidance request
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:18:05 AM »
Hi,

First I am new to this forum and new to the idea of a DIY milling machine.
I am a, lets say a seasoned mechanical design engineer. 
I have been around CNC all my working career, from “time sharing” programing & paper tape to the present state of the art.  Now nearing retirement, I culled thru my collection of “junk” and realized I have most of the required components for a DIY mill (3 Axis).  So, I purchase a ER25 spindle & collets  I have a 1HP 3 phase motor & 110 VAC VFD drive, THK bearings etc… and from Rattmmotor I purchase  a motor drive package as follows:

3 x FMD2740C stepper motor driver  4.0A
3 x 23HS2430B stepper motor (Dual shaft) 112mm length,425 Oz-in
1 x 400W 36V/11A switching power supply
1 x 5 axis breakout board V5 type
1 x DB25 parallel cable
1 x USB cable

I also purchased various SFU1605 Ball Screws & mounts required to mechanically make things go.

Now the mechanical bits I can work out just fine,
The Stepper motors and the Drivers connections I should be OK with.

It is the options that I could chose for the rest ie…

Option 1
Purchase Mach3, use an old win 7 computer (that I have) & using the “1 x 5 axis breakout board V5 type“ (Purchased above with the motor pkg)

Option 2
Purchase Mach4 (Hobby), use a newer Win 10 computer (that I have) & purchase the “Warp9” “Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS)” and connect it via the parallel port to the “1 x 5 axis breakout board V5 type“ (Purchased above with the motor pkg)

Option 3
Purchase Mach4 (Hobby), use a newer Win 10 computer (that I have) & purchase the “Warp9” “Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS)” & the “MB3 series of breakout board”  COMBO not using the “1 x 5 axis breakout board V5 type“ (Purchased above with the motor pkg)

Option 4
Purchase Mach4 (Hobby), use a newer Win 10 computer (that I have) & purchase the "USB/Ethernet CNC Controller PoKeys57CNC" (by PoLabs) & not using the “1 x 5 axis breakout board V5 type“ (Purchased above with the motor pkg)

I am leaning toward Mach4 with an Ethernet connection  Option3 or 4 What would be any of your recommendations…

Thanks for any help

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie guidance request
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 09:29:47 AM »
Sounds like a great project.
From experience, I have found that the Warp9 ESS has better customer support than the PoKeys 57CNC so bear in mind that you may need expert help getting certain functions working to your satisfaction so I would advise your Option 3.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 06:06:23 PM »
Thanks, Tweakie.CNC, for the help.

I have found that the Warp9 ESS has better customer support than the PoKeys 57CNC

Another question?  For all axes am looking to use the NEMA 23 Steppers... But on the vertical axis I thought it would be good to go thru a reducer a 5:1 or a 10:1 (I have one of each in my collection) for this axis is the one with the spindle and the motor etc...  and mounted on the vertical with THK HSR30 bearings.  it is quite heavy and a gear box I thought would not hurt.  It is my assumption that the Mach4 has a parameter that can be set to accommodate this one vertical axis ratio? As well I assume the other axes? To account for various pitch ball screws etc?

I know I should read the manual et all... & i will get there... but thought it would be good to ask.

Thanks again

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 01:10:14 AM »
Mach4 can accommodate any gear ratios for any axis independently and without any issues.
Bear in mind that stepper motors have maximum torque when stationary so they always start any movement at highest torque. The mechanical advantage of the axis leadscrew may well cope with the weight of your spindle and axis without needing a reduction gear – it is something you may need to calculate or construct a prototype to actually try it and see.
A reduction gearbox will actually slow axis movement and increase job time especially if you plan on any future 3D work or surface probing but I suppose a gearbox could always be removed at a later date if it was found to be unnecessary.

Good fortune with your build.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:31 AM »
Hi,
It has been a while
Just wanted to update you on my project
(See attached photos and will attach an mpg of collet tool path in another post.)
Thanks for your quick answers a year ago or so.
I've built it, and It Works!
I've used Solidworks to design & the SolidWorks CAM to program  an ER25 collet holder
and sent and via a "HawkRidge SW post" to NC code to Mark4, MB3, Smoothstepper, etc...
Was not to hard to figure out how to set it all up. BUT
I have found the Solidworks CAM  to be full featured and as such it took a bit to figure out.
(I have used Solidworks Design for the last 10 years and LOVE it)
I am considering a purchase of "Carbide Create Pro" and was wondering about your thoughts on it?
It looks like it may be a bit easier to get the paths I desire.
What Post Would it have that works for/with the Mach4?
Thanks again.
Bob

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 11:01:18 AM »
Excellent work Bob, you have built a machine to be proud of.
I just love that Z axis counter balance  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 11:02:26 AM »
Photo of collet holder
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 11:04:30 AM »
SW Tool path - mpg4 in a zip file