Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 04:24:28 PM

Author Topic: Probing & Soft limits  (Read 431 times)

Probing & Soft limits
« on: October 28, 2022, 03:31:05 PM »
I'm using a ESS and have my software limits setup. The machine probes correctly with the softlimits off, but if I turn them on then it will not probe. Does this with gcode from sheetcam or if I just run G31 Z -4.
Re: Probing & Soft limits
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »
Ok, in the gcode from Sheetcam it has G31.0 Z-10. My softlimits for Z is set to 5, so I lowered this in the post to Z-4. But, this has not fixed the problem.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm using a ESS and have my software limits setup.

Limits are all very well but far less important than Home switches, and SoftLimits ONLY make sense once a machine has been Homed or Referenced.

Many people use limit switches as dual purpose, ie limit event indicators but when Homing home event indicators. I personally do not like that practice.
I have six limit switches, 2 per axis, each on its own ESS input, and three separate home switches, again each on its own input on my new mill.
My first mini-mill had three home switches only, no limits. Because it had good home switches SoftLimits worked well and  I never got around to having limits switches
and I used it like that for seven years.

How do you Home or Reference your machine?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi,

G31.0 Z-10. My softlimits for Z is set to 5

You are confusing the Z-10 in the g31 block with SoftLimit Z. The Z ordinate in the g31 block is a work coordinate, ie referenced to the current g54 Work Coordinates
whereas the SoftLimit Z ordinate is in Machine Coordinates, ie referenced to the Machine Zero not the Work Zero.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 06:43:06 AM »
I have home switches on all axes. I ref all axes then enable softlimits to prevent hitting hard limits. This works well with a plasma table jogging at 1500ipm.

What your saying makes sense. Lowering the Z travel in the G31 block allowed softlimits to work. Now, I need to figure out adjusting settings in the post for the ref distance.