Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:17:15 AM

Author Topic: any way to limit how far axis travels during homing?  (Read 298 times)

any way to limit how far axis travels during homing?
« on: October 13, 2022, 09:13:31 AM »
I built a 5 axis machine with a 2 axis head.  I have limit switches on both the B and the C rotary axes.  A new operator decided rather than hitting the "Load Position" button I made that raises Z, squares the head, and puts my 2 Y tables in the front position, he hit "REF ALL AXIS" - his reasoning to bring the X axis back to home as well. Unfortunately, the head was already turned just past the switch and did a 360 degree revolution to hit the home switch.  After a few times doing this over a week or so, he wound up all the internal wires and eventually the limit switch wire broke which then had the head spinning looking for the switch.  We luckily got it to stop before it destroyed all the spindle wiring.

So what I would like to do is limit the distance my B and C axis can travel during a homing operation.  Say 30 degree head rotation max, then  error if it exceeds it.  The home position is about 5 degrees from the square position.  Not sure if soft limits work during homing?
Re: any way to limit how far axis travels during homing?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 02:39:37 PM »
I use the HiCON Integra for my motion controller.  Although I don't know the specifics of how the motion controller handles homing... I know that soft limits have to be ignored.  My soft limit for all my axis wouldn't allow me to hit the home switch on most of the machines in the shop.
If you made a "Load Position" button.  Take that code, make it a function, and call it in the Ref All Script before continuing the homing sequence.
Chad Byrd