Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 06:43:42 AM

Author Topic: E-Stop During a Cut  (Read 1195 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
E-Stop During a Cut
« on: October 03, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
I noticed when I use my cnc to do a cut if I press the E-Stop all axis movement stop and the spindle stops running but after when I press the Cycle Start the axis start to move but not the Spindle.

Is this normal and if yes is there a way to have the spindle also running?

Thanks
Nicolas

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: E-Stop During a Cut
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 08:04:10 AM »
You can press the spindle start button then Cycle Start
Without engineers the world stops

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
I thought about it but then I said perhaps there is a setting somewhere.....Anyway no problem to do it as you say

Thank you
Nicolas
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:19:54 AM »
 The spindle not turning on after continuing is because there is no M3 command. that M code is initialized at the beginning of the G code (M3S12000 or what ever the spindle RPM is in G code). So you will have to start the spindle manually.
Regards
Charlie M.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »
Hi,
you should not use Estop.....ever except in an emergency.

If you want to stop a program during a cut use <FeedHold>.

When you Estop the machine does an emergency shutdown, any moves in the motion buffer are deleted. Thus you lose reference, it maybe just a few steps but could be many steps.
Either way if you restart Mach those lost steps will interfere with the accuracy of your part, possibly even wreck it.

If you use <FeedHold> then the machine stops but only after it drains the motion buffer and decelerates to a stop......all without losing steps. From the time you hit <FeedHold>
until the machine stops depends on the motion buffer. The ESS has a default motion buffer of 180ms, so you can say that the machine will be stopped within 0.2 seconds,
which is pretty close to instantaneous. The advantage is that once your ready to start again you hit <CycleStart> an the machine starts from where it left-off but without any missing
steps.

Its been some years (8-9) since I used Mach3, and in fact don't even have a copy of it anymore, I use Mach4  instead, so I can't remember whether Mach3 has the ability to change or
program its behavior on <FeedHold>, it certainly does in Mach4. See the attached pic. You can choose whether a <FeedHold> stops the spindle and you can also choose whether a <CycleStart>
starts the spindle again after a <FeedHold>.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'