Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:59:07 AM

Author Topic: Newbie question about milling text with Mach 3  (Read 9849 times)

Newbie question about milling text with Mach 3
« on: October 29, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
Hi, I am in the process of purchasing a CNC machine to engrave signs for my company.  I have been working with the Mach 3 software and can't figure out an easy way to create Mach 3 G Code for the text.  I am using Microsoft Visio to layout the text and then exporting the .dxf file to Mach 3.  Mach 3 does not recognize text, so is my only option to draw out each letter and number with lines and curves?  I have tried the Text to G code converters online, but either Mach 3 doesn't recognize the G code they produce or the text layout is not what I want.  There has to be an easier way.  Please help
Thanks,
Alex

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question about milling text with Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
Hi Alex,

I have never used Visio, but in most drawing programs you have an option to convert text to paths/lines & arcs or something similar,  check the options and export as DXF, in most cases once text is converted you can not go back to edit the text so its the last thing to do. Or convert a copy.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
Alex - go to www.DesKAM.com and look at their freeware DeskEngrave program.  It produces text files in DXF that LazyCam recognizes.  Some limitations - such as skewing the letters and no single line fonts (which I would really like to have), but all in all a very decent program.  Totally free, no time limits, etc.

Bob @ BobsShop - not associated with DeskAm - Hell, no one will associate with me!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:24:50 AM »
Alex - you can locate the DeskEngrave software @ http://www.deskam.com/download.html - It is a little hard to find the download on their homepage.

Bob @ BobsShop -
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:41:38 AM »
Thanks guys for all your help! 
Unfortunately Visio won't convert text to lines and arcs, so I will have to use one of the text to G code converters.  I tried both deskengrave and stickfont, but the only problem with them is they make one line at a time.  I am engraving signs for electrical equipment, and the placards require multiple lines (and sometimes up to a small paragraph and a diagram).  I am worried about being able to center the text on the piece, keeping multiple lines of text aligned, and then going back to Visio to create lined diagrams.
I guess there is no free software that could help me.  Would you recommend AutoCAD or a similar 2D CAD program that can convert its text to lines and arcs? I can place the text and lined diagrams where I want on the plastic, then import the .dxf file into Mach 3 and create the G Code and (hopefully) machine the plastic how I have laid it out.
Thanks again,
Alex
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »
Not sure if this will help you to determine if this is what you are looking for or not, but I made this copy of a Harley logo with DeskEngrave and Cadx11 (another freeware program).  Takes a while to figure out and learn how to use them together, but I am pleased with the results.

Bob @ BobsShop

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
Alex,

have a look at this software, it is very easy to use and is made to do just what you want.

Graham.

http://members.aol.com/m9685123/index.html
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »
Graham - I was unable to open your link.  Do you have another one?
Thanks

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
Funny, it works for me,  search "Millwrite 2000" in Google and it should be the first one.

Graham.