Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:20:59 PM

Author Topic: Y axis losing its bearings  (Read 738 times)

Y axis losing its bearings
« on: September 23, 2022, 10:42:32 AM »
Hi All

I have just received a 4060 CNC which had mach3 software bundled with it.  Got it working more or less ok but after starting off cutting correctly the Y axis runs out by as much as 10mm.  Looked at the youtube experts I turned down the jog rate but to no avail.  I am not a computer expert so a lot of it goes over my head.  The one thing I did notice was that on the config, ports and pins the kernal speed is set to 100k.  Could this be the roof of the problem.  I am also running on a windows 10 laptop is this a problem.  Any advice in simple English would be appreciated.
Re: Y axis losing its bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 07:23:04 PM »
Hi,

The one thing I did notice was that on the config, ports and pins the kernal speed is set to 100k.

Complete red herring, the 'kernel speed' refers to the internal clock rate of Machs parallel port, and very few if any PC parallel ports would ever run at 100khz,
25kHz is the default standard.

Note that Machs parallel port CAN ONLY be run on 32bit PCs of Windows7 or WindowsXP. That your machine is running....sort of.....on a Windows 10 PC means
that YOU CANNOT USE Mach's parallel port...end of story. Therefore you machine must have an external motion control board, most likely an RnR or BitSensor type,
both Chinese junk. If you persevere you might get it to go, but you would be advised to buy a US or European made external motion control board like an
Ethernet SmoothStepper ($190) by Warp9TD.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 04:31:51 AM »
Craig.  Thanks for that will look into an external motion board.  I am beginning to realise that this is not a simple plug and play exercise.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:57:05 AM »
 I would like to add to what was already mentioned I also have a 6040 cnc and one of the biggest upgrades I have done is replace all the motor wiring with shielded wiring. the standard wiring is not shielded and thus it will lose steps during operation. the motion controller that comes with the machine while its not the best you can get by with it and it does ok.
Regards
Charlie M.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 07:38:50 AM »
Thanks Charlie, will look into this also.