Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:51:07 AM

Author Topic: Problems setting up lathe.  (Read 710 times)

Problems setting up lathe.
« on: September 18, 2022, 01:20:59 PM »
Hi out there. I am having some odd problems trying to set up my cnc lathe. Having worked out the steps per revolution for the motors I went about trying to set up the lathe like this. My original steps came out at 1000. After setting the motor speed etc, I entered the following command. G0 Z+30. The lathe moved 35mm. So I reduced the steps to 850. Again entered G0 Z+30. The machine moved 20mm. I then entered G0 Z-30 and the machine moved 60mm. Ok something wrong. There is no play on the machine, so it’s not that. I am using a cheap eBay breakout board. The z axis is a closed loop stepper driver and motor. The power supply for the stepper driver states 48v, I am running on 24v which is the minimum, would this course the problem. The other stepper motor is open loop. A few times trying to set the lathe up, I have had no movement from the closed loop motor until I turn all the power off and start again. Any help would be great. Thanks
Re: Problems setting up lathe.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »
It is steps/unit that you need to set, based on the steps/rev of the motor, any gearing to the feedscrew, and the screw pitch.
Re: Problems setting up lathe.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
Hi, I know that. But my problem is that the motor is not reacting correctly.