Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:48:55 AM

Author Topic: Repeated Pausing during cut  (Read 1050 times)

Repeated Pausing during cut
« on: September 04, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »
Hey, I've been using Mach3 for a few years now and have been having this problem the whole time, but only with large cuts.

The PC and CNC machine will constantly pause / go / pause / go. It's almost as if the PC has to wait for the CNC to complete each action before if feeds it the next line of code. This only happens on designs with large amounts of code. All smaller designs have run just fine, without any of these pausing issues.

I have tried using a newer PC, with more ram and much more powerful CPU, which reduces the pausing, but does not eliminate it.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Repeated Pausing during cut
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:31:26 PM »
Hi,
is it a parallel port machine?

Try disabling the screen drawing facility when running large files. The screen redraws can cause the pausing you are talking about.

External motion controllers like an Ethernet SmoothStepper reduce the dependence on the PC by relieving the PC of the need to generate
accurately timed pulse streams for which Windows PCs are poor.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »
The CNC controller is USB connection.

I will try the screen redraw when I get home tonight. Never new this was a thing before, but now that you mention it, it seems very possible this is the problem. It's like trying to play a game at settings the PC can't handle and frame rates go so low it's like a slideshow.

Thank you for the suggestion 😊
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:17:24 PM »
Hi,

The CNC controller is USB connection.

So what make and model?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 11:32:17 PM »
So what make and model?

That I'm not sure of.
The CNC is a CNCest model. But I've not looked at the internals for controller model etc ..

I'll have a look and report back tonight 🙂
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 06:58:23 PM »
I've had a look at the controller, unfortunately it has no markings on it to tell the specific model / brand.
The driver boards are running TB6500 analog chips, however I have new Stepper Online DM542T digital driver boards ready to go in. Just debating now if I should build a whole new system, with PC and CNC components all in one case, or simply stick with what I have now and install the new parts in the current CNC case.

Regardless of what I do there ...

I tried turning the screen redraw feature off, but it made little to no difference on the stuttering / pausing of the machining process. Instead I split the Rough / Finish passes into seperate files to reduce the size and strain it puts on the laptop which has stopped the issue for now. Until I start working on bigger projects at least.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »
Is your machine a 6040? I have one from the same name. Yours might have this controller:
https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-electronic-component-breakout-Mach3-USB-Board
Regards
Charlie M.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 06:21:51 AM »
Is your machine a 6040? I have one from the same name. Yours might have this controller:
https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-electronic-component-breakout-Mach3-USB-Board

Yes I have a CNCest 6040 machine ..
The controller board does look similar to the one you linked, however there are no markings at all on mine that I can see. I will see how it goes with the new Digital Driver boards on the weekend, maybe it will need to be replaced as well.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 05:27:08 AM »
while in mach3 got to plugins/RNR Motion and it will open a settings window. you may have some settings in there that will help with that issue. Unless you just are planning on upgrading the motion controller.
Regards
Charlie M.