Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 01:48:57 PM

Author Topic: REQ: Do not lock GCode files when loading  (Read 1423 times)

REQ: Do not lock GCode files when loading
« on: August 24, 2022, 11:14:54 AM »
I do my CAD/CAM on a machine in the design studio, and I do the actual machining in the shop.
The Mach4 computer running the CNC loads files over the network, using a Windows file share.
I **very** often find I need to make changes to the toolpaths after an initial run, or I'll even sometimes need to stop the run and make changes.

A problem I **often** run into is that I cannot make changes to the GCode file after it's loaded into Mach4. In fact, I can't make changes even if the GCode isn't being run, until I UNload the file from Mach4.

This is nonsensical to me. All the other controller programs I've run do not lock the GCode file on the source file share.

How can I implement a non-locking GCode file load? Mach4 should really be opening the file in non-exclusive mode. Failing that change, I would really like Mach to take a copy of the file and load the copy, but display the original file name and path. This would allow me to go back to the design studio and make my CAD/CAM tweaks for article #n while the GCode for #n-1 is still running.