Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 03:39:28 AM

Author Topic: Need help getting Teknic Servo motor controlled by Mach 3  (Read 1692 times)

Need help getting Teknic Servo motor controlled by Mach 3
« on: August 21, 2022, 03:03:37 AM »
Hello I was wondering if I could get some help getting my Teknic server motor being controlled/ran by Mach 3. I have the A+/A- B+/B- connected to my microstep controller  and the microstep is connected to the YP/YD of the Mach 3 breakout board. I'm able to get the motor turning via clearpath software but not through Mach 3 and I'm not quite sure what I'm missing. Since this is an 8 wire motor where do I connect the Enable +/- and HLFB +/-  wires? Do I even need those wired to anything? Is there a certain setting in the clearpath/mach 3 software that I'm missing? Thanks for any help

Here's a link to the clearpath manual too big for me to upload

https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/clearpath_user_manual.pdf

Model of motor:  clearpath sdsk 2310s rln
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 03:05:32 AM by robbinbanks »
Re: Need help getting Teknic Servo motor controlled by Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 08:38:20 PM »
Hi,
you have pictured two micro stepping drivers and they are for stepper motors not servos.
For servos you need servo drives which are a completely different animal to stepper drives.

Clearpath sdsk servos have the servo drive built in. All you need is a 60V to 70V DC power supply to each servo, and the step/direction signal wires
from your motion controller/BoB combination.

If you don't have steppers get rid of the stepper drives. If you have hooked the output of the stepper drives (A+,A-,B+,B-) to the pulse
inputs of the Clearpath servos you will in all probability have blown the hell out of those inputs. They are OK with 5V to 24V but you will have fried them
if you have connected them to the 40-50-60V or whatever outputs of your stepper drives.

I see you attached the manual for the servos....did you read it?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 09:10:40 PM »
Hi,
you have pictured two micro stepping drivers and they are for stepper motors not servos.
For servos you need servo drives which are a completely different animal to stepper drives.

Clearpath sdsk servos have the servo drive built in. All you need is a 60V to 70V DC power supply to each servo, and the step/direction signal wires
from your motion controller/BoB combination.

If you don't have steppers get rid of the stepper drives. If you have hooked the output of the stepper drives (A+,A-,B+,B-) to the pulse
inputs of the Clearpath servos you will in all probability have blown the hell out of those inputs. They are OK with 5V to 24V but you will have fried them
if you have connected them to the 40-50-60V or whatever outputs of your stepper drives.

I see you attached the manual for the servos....did you read it?

Craig

Yeah I was reading it but I'm straight new to this (helping an older friend getting it setup, just doing friendly tech support) But I was able to get it working reading around in the forums/threads. I just attached the manual in case someone smarter than me could understand it better. But here's a picture of the wire attachment in case someone else needed it.  Note on the one picture orange also goes to ground. Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
Hi,
the Clearpath SDSK is made to be as SIMPLE as possible to catch buyers whom want servos but are only familiar with steppers.

The servos need only the same number of wires as a stepper. You need a pos and neg supply, and capable of 10A or 20A so need to be reasonable size.
You'll need one step wire, one direction wire, and one return wire, say 0V or 5V to 24V depending on your controller. These wire are signals only so little wires,
#22 or #24 would be fine. That would be enough to get the servo going if you program it so. Its common, not essential, but recommended to have one additional wire,
an ENABLE, and a #22 or #24 signal wire would be ample. This wire basically turns the servo ON or OFF. You might use it to disable the servo if the machine EStops say.
Another good idea is to have a HLFB wire, #22 or #24. You can program the servo to output a condition, for instance an overload or overheat condition. You could use this to
EStop the machine. Another possibility is to program it as a  'Following Error'. If the servo lags too far behind the commanded position it will fault, a bit like a stepper
when it misses steps. The servo will recognise the lost steps and if it can't keep up it will stop. You can use HLFB to signal that event and use it to Estop, or pause the machine
rather than carry on making an out-of-shape part.

One of the definite shortcomings of Clearpath servos is that they only have one HLFB output. So you could not have an overload output AND a Following Error output, but only
one or the other. My Delta B2 series servos have SIX digital outputs, so I can have Following Error AND Overload AND Overheat outputs. My controller can respond in different
ways to the different fault conditions. Clearpath reduced the outputs to just one in interests of simplicity....shame really.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'