Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:35:29 PM

Author Topic: Unexpected E-Stop  (Read 1131 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Unexpected E-Stop
« on: August 11, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
I’m making some dry runs (means the spindle is not running) to test my new cnc before an actual cut. The object is a rectangle as per attached pic. with some geometrical shapes inside and the cnc has gone already through all of them and does now the second pass and all of a sudden I get the E-Stop. Then I click on the reset and press the cycle start and she continue the cut.

It happened yesterday and today and I don’t remember yesterday but today it happened when the NC code was at the Y-Axis somewhere in the middle of the rectangle.

I don’t expect any exact answers but any ideas what may cause this E-Stop

Thanks
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected E-Stop
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »
Reading on the web for solutions it came to my mind if the problem is with the ESS. I have built a few cnc’s before and this never happened before especially since the spindle/gantry are in the middle of the table and away from any limit witches. This is my first machine with ESS.
How can I verify if it is related to ESS?
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 04:40:50 PM »
Bad contact in the e stop circuit?

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 05:15:34 PM »
It’s possible John and thinking about it I remember in the past when I was starting Mach3 I was getting the occasional E-Stop without doing anything (but the Motors and ESS circuit were ON) and using the Reset it went away and never paid any more attention. One thing I will do is just change the E-stop switch for now to see.

But I will also post this message in the Warp forum to see what they have to say. Since I’m not familiar at all with the ESS I know that I have not done very much with its configuration and I may miss something.

Thinking again I remember that yesterday and today the E-stop happened when I was at about the end of the NC code and hitting the Reset and Cycle Start buttons it finished the run. If it is an electrical contact shouldn’t have happened more often?

Thanks
Nicolas
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 05:19:25 PM »
Just deconfigure the estop switch in ports & pins temporarily?

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »
What do you mean by "deconfigure the estop" ?
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 02:10:38 AM »
Disable it in configuration so any electrical problem in the switch wiring won't affect the controller.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 03:34:35 AM »
I thought you said that but I don’t think it’s the right thing to do in a new machine. How would I be able to stop the cnc if something goes wrong?

Besides the switch for the Spindle I have:
A switch which cuts the power OFF to the stepper motors
Another switch which cuts the power to the C11G BOB + the ESS
And another one to kill the AC to the system

Perhaps one of them?
Nicolas
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 05:43:42 AM »
Kill the AC power. 

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 01:49:42 PM »
I have done a bad wiring job on the E-Stop so I re wire it with a shielded 2 conductors cable. Testing after the E-Stop worked. Tonight or tomorrow I will do another dry run and hopefully I will not see any problem otherwise I will disable the E-Stop as discussed and see if the E-Stop switch is defective.
Thanks
Nicolas