Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:33:10 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 Rotary axis rollover  (Read 497 times)

Mach4 Rotary axis rollover
« on: August 02, 2022, 12:49:43 AM »
I am having an issue with my new 4th axis (A) on my machine. At the end of a rotary tool path it has to reverse direction for the same number of revolutions as it just completed to get back to A0 for the next operation. I know I can turn on rollover but that also causes unwanted behavior. If commanded to go from A359 to A361 it reverses and starts from A1 rather than taking the shortest path of 2 degrees. I have tried gcode using both continuously increasing A and limited to a range of -360 to 360. Neither has the the outcome I am looking for. Is there any way to get smooth rotation that doesn't reverse when going past 360 and also doesn't have to reverse direction from say 3600 after a rotary tool path to get to A0?
Re: Mach4 Rotary axis rollover
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:27:07 AM »
It might be possible to produce gcode that avoids the need to deal with this.  For example I wrote a wizard that produces code to engrave a knurl that only requires the A axis to rotate in one direction throughout.  I posted it somewhere on here, I'll try to find it.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 02:30:44 AM »
It might be possible to produce gcode that avoids the need to deal with this.  For example I wrote a wizard that produces code to engrave a knurl that only requires the A axis to rotate in one direction throughout.  I posted it somewhere on here, I'll try to find it.
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=45287.msg288673#msg288673
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »
I think I am going to have to leave rollover off and make a post processor modification (I use Fusion 360) that either directly sets home to the nearest 0 degree position or that calls a macro to do that at the end of any rotary type tool path. I would rather have Mach4 just figure this out but I can see no other way to get the behavior I want. You would think that it could understand that if I am at A-359 and I command it to go to A-1 that it would move the 2 degrees in the negative direction since I commanded A-1 not A1. This seems like a design flaw.