Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:54:01 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Control  (Read 775 times)

Offline JimG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Spindle Control
« on: August 01, 2022, 04:45:20 PM »
I've started getting a problem with my Seig KX1 spindle control.    The Mach3 setup was upgraded from the original parallel port interface to an ESS system a couple of years ago and has been working well until recently.

The main problem is that when I start running a GCode file in Mach 3,  most of the time the spindle doesn't start.    The required spindle speed is shown on Spindle Speed and SRO,  but there is no movement from the spindle.   I can't start the clockwise spindle manually using the button on the screen or F5,  but I can start in the counter-clockwise direction using the screen button or F6.   I've now found that if I start the spindle using F6,  then run the GCode file,  that the spindle will stop,  then start running in the clockwise direction at the required speed and the cut proceeds as normal.

I'm afraid that the manual I got with the KX1 is not much help so I'm not sure where to start looking to try and sort the problem out.

Jim.

Offline JimG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Control
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 10:46:46 AM »
I.e. everything works, the machine runs, executes the program, but the spindle does not rotate?

That's pretty much it.     I've been using the machine over the past two days and in about 50% of the machine starts,  the spindle motor did not start.  I'm using small diameter carbide slotting cutters (1mm, 2mm) so after starting the cut I immediately hover over the stop button so that I can stop the machine before the stationary cutter ploughs into the material.   If this happens,  starting the spindle in a counter clockwise direction,  then running the program seems to work - i.e. as soon as the program is started,  the counter-clockwise turning spindle stops,  then restarts in the clockwise direction and the cut proceeds as normal.

I can sort of live with it,  but it would be nice if I didn't have to hover over the stop button at every start. :-)

Jim.