Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 01:29:28 PM

Author Topic: mach 4 and Smooth Stepper homing with limit switches  (Read 1159 times)

mach 4 and Smooth Stepper homing with limit switches
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:14:33 AM »
I just got a smooth stepper to replace a PMDX smartbob 411 (just trying to avoid possible USB issues) and its communicating with the Gekko 540 drive okay. I can jog anyway. But it doesn't stop when it hits the limit switches. It just crashes until I hit the e-stop. I've watched videos and reviewed the pin settings in both Mach and ESS. It worked with the 411 until the 411 went bad. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why it doesn't stop and home when it reached the limits switches? I'm sure its just a setting that I can't find.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: mach 4 and Smooth Stepper homing with limit switches
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
You've read thru this, right?

https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettingstarted/setting-up-the-smoothstepper-and-mach4

Some things to look for are go to the diagnostics page and see if your switches, limit and homing, show on there when you press/activate them by hand. Be sure your switches are assigned to axes and active and all.

I believe Andy at Warp9td has a default profile for a G540, you might just start with that.

Otherwise, if you still have questions, you might try the Warp9td forum, Andy provides the best support you could hope for.
--
Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
The switches all show activating when we manually hit the limit switches.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
And yes. I read through the getting started. It might still be something in M4.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »
Hi,
I've used Mach4 and an ESS for eight years and never once have I encountered a time where Mach would not stop on a limit event.
The only time Mach ignores a limit event is if the <Limit Override> is active...have you checked it?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »
No. I wasn't even aware of it. It may be that it is the default when M4 is i stalled. Where do I check that? We had no problems with the limit switch before we re-installed M4. Thank you.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 08:37:00 PM »
Hi,
I doubt it would be auto-enabled, its usually only used when you have a cock-up and are outside the limits and need to jog back into
the limit envelope to get going. You need to temporarily disable the limits or the machine will be in permanent Estop.

Look on the Jogging tab to see the button.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 09:14:17 PM »
Will do. Thanks.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 09:50:24 PM »
Hi,
the only other time that I can think of when Mach would ignore a limit switch is if the machine is homing. As you know most people
use one of the two limit switches (per axis) as a home switch. While Mach is homing it ignores limits and looks to the home switches.
If you have your home/limit switch assignment confused the mach may keep on driving past a limit switch because its still waiting for a home switch event.

For this reason I have 6 limit switches, 2 per axis , all on separate inputs AND three home switches, 1 per axis , and each on their own input, so
nine switches and nine inputs in total. Mach can never be confused about which switch has operated.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »
I can't figure it out. I reloaded the ESS profile to no avail. I'm not getting any support from the Warp 9 outfit. Maybe they don't know either. I've tried all kinds of different pin settings. Good grief. How hard can this be?