Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:57:12 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 USB version  (Read 2263 times)

Re: Mach 3 USB version
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
Hi,

I assumed you were suggesting that I ditch the USB to DB25 adapter and use an ethernet cable. I was wondering how that would hook up.

No. With a parallel port PC what you had was Mach and Machs Pulse Engine inside the PC, and you used a DB25 cable to connect to your PC to the breakout board and then to your machine.
Now, you have Mach inside the PC, connected to a motion control board like the ones listed,  connected by either a USB or an Ethernet cable, and from the motion control board
to the breakout board with a cable to match.

The UC100 has a DB25socket so you can plug your breakout board in without a cable at all, or use a DB25 to DB25 if you want a little distance between them.
A UC300 does not have a DB25 socket but has an IDC socket. So you would use an IDC to DB25 cable to connect your breakout board. The ESS likewise has no
DB25 socket and requires an IDC to DB25 cable. Often breakout board have in addition to the DB25 connector have an IDC socket as an alternative. In which case the
UC300 or ESS could use a cheap as chips IDC to IDC cable.

The point is that where you once had the PC and breakout board, ie two parts, now you have the PC, a motion board and a breakout board, ie three parts.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2022, 08:07:58 PM »
I have a learning disability so that I need visuals. Maybe you or someone following might be able to sketch that out comparing what I used in my previous CNCs to what you're talking about. I'm lost.
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2022, 08:34:42 PM »
Hi,

Craig
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2022, 08:41:43 PM »
Thank you, Craig. So the UC100, the UC300, and the ESS, are three different types of motion controllers?
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2022, 08:59:31 PM »
Hi,

So the UC100, the UC300, and the ESS, are three different types of motion controllers?

Yes, thats right. Because you can plug a single port breakout board straight into the UC100, and because they've been around for nearly 15 years they are very popular.
There are bigger  boards with more IO, not necessarily better, but faster and more IO, the UC300 and ESS are good examples. You should look at the Pokeys 57CNC,
the Vital Systems Hicon and CSLabs CSMIO and then you have a good overview of whats on the market.

You will note that I do not include any Chinese made units, as far as I'm concerned they are all rubbish, and I refuse to pay so much as a cent for one.

Craig