Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 01:11:17 PM

Author Topic: How to link external controller and tool number?  (Read 1845 times)

Re: How to link external controller and tool number?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 10:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice ^^;

It depends on your setup.
On my Hurco, the PLC always know where the carousel it is due to the input combination for every position.

I have a lathe that has no index switch or home sensor for the turret. On Mach4 startup, I have a message box pop up asking for the current turret position, the user input updates the PLC counter.

The mill I’m currently working on has a tool 1 position sensor, so I home the carousel in my Reference All button and I also have a Carousel home button in case I need it otherwise.  The m6 Macro will tell me if the carousel isn’t home and will not run.  The PLC counter updates to “1” after the homing sequence.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 01:21:03 AM »
why use external plc?
i use mach with pokeys , i use about 24-28 inputs  and about 50 outputs , i do all i need
 i use ATC with servo or without , and many other devices by the mach
in some cases when we have 2  or more axiss that need work in paralel i use 2 pc as master and slave
i cant think about any challenge cant implemet by mach ( many times need use external application but still all its conect to mach)
even RS485 absolute encoder to read the value i have c# application that run from mach
no need arduino , no need any external plc
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 04:58:59 AM »
Thanks for the good advice.

Could you please share the M6 script?
I was thinking of an external Arduino that could handle it easily, because of the difficulties of the M6 script.

Control the motor to move the ATC to the replacement position and
Rotate the tool palette, replace it, move it back to the exchange standby position,
I have to do several programs.
Because I'm new to the M6 Lua script

ysy9999@gmail.com

why use external plc?
i use mach with pokeys , i use about 24-28 inputs  and about 50 outputs , i do all i need
 i use ATC with servo or without , and many other devices by the mach
in some cases when we have 2  or more axiss that need work in paralel i use 2 pc as master and slave
i cant think about any challenge cant implemet by mach ( many times need use external application but still all its conect to mach)
even RS485 absolute encoder to read the value i have c# application that run from mach
no need arduino , no need any external plc
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 05:10:12 AM »
Much more then you describe,some points MUST consider while change tool
1.chesck if real have tool inside spindle
2.must cheack sensor( open and close) while cicle
3.must give solution for any kind of failure for example tool not unload or
Tool not look ,each solution it's according yours machine
4 must give. Answer for any events happening while change tool( and always happened many) for example workers press stop ,or air pressure fall
5 recommend ( for me it's must) write to external software or file ,the new too ,so next time you will turn on can compare before work,many many times for many reasons the tool Mach think it's inside the spindle it's not the real one
6 before change tool must cheack all
 Accoriese around not disturbing for example hood up...and all machine offset are clear,and cheack twice spindle not rotate
That what I can remember now from my car
Good luck
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
I'll post my m6 Script from the mill I'm working on.  It is incredibly extensive and has the ability to empty the spindle when you call up tool 0.

I use an external PLC because it is far FAR more stable then anything I've used in the past as far as motion controller breakout boards. 

For 1, it is all 24vdc so it is very stable with noise.  Also..... it is a PLC.  If there are tasks you don't want to code in Mach4... just write a few rungs of ladder logic and you never have to worry about it... for example.. lube pump timing, low fluid levels can be run through the PLC and send an alarm to Mach4... etc...
Chad Byrd
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »
when i start with pokeys  (about 4 years ago) we have many issues with noise ,more with there plugin for the realys cards
at beginning it was real big head ace for us(output was turn on without any command) and they blame...noise.. etc,..
but when they understand we not play games ,they take the problem in there hands improve plug in ,and after several software updates
i can tell you ,about 2-3 years many many cards "0" problems
no noise ,nothing
so this stable issue its real not point for me
about write the plc , i think that if you have some experience ( not much)with write code ,its very easy and much powerful then some patterns that some one build for you(like ladder) but this my opinion maybe some one else think something else
one more point very important for us its  remote control ,with windows software its very easy control and debug far customer
if you want i can send you link to see our ATC ( we have all typs,linear ,linear under gantry, carousel by toth wheel and carousel by servo)
also drill block with many drill inside
yaakov

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 10:02:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Is there any link or data I can refer to? (anything)
Can you share your M6 script?

My mail is ysy9999@gmail.com.
Thank you again.

when i start with pokeys  (about 4 years ago) we have many issues with noise ,more with there plugin for the realys cards
at beginning it was real big head ace for us(output was turn on without any command) and they blame...noise.. etc,..
but when they understand we not play games ,they take the problem in there hands improve plug in ,and after several software updates
i can tell you ,about 2-3 years many many cards "0" problems
no noise ,nothing
so this stable issue its real not point for me
about write the plc , i think that if you have some experience ( not much)with write code ,its very easy and much powerful then some patterns that some one build for you(like ladder) but this my opinion maybe some one else think something else
one more point very important for us its  remote control ,with windows software its very easy control and debug far customer
if you want i can send you link to see our ATC ( we have all typs,linear ,linear under gantry, carousel by toth wheel and carousel by servo)
also drill block with many drill inside
yaakov
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »
Sorry, it has been a while.  But here is the m6 from the mill I have been working on.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 12:00:03 AM »
thank you ^^

Thanks again for your kindness.
It will be of great help.

Sorry, it has been a while.  But here is the m6 from the mill I have been working on.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 12:30:27 AM »
Can I see a picture of the ATC in action with this script?

I'm curious to see a picture of the device that works with this script