Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:30:40 AM

Author Topic: Should we re-install Mach 4  (Read 788 times)

Should we re-install Mach 4
« on: July 23, 2022, 11:55:04 AM »
Hi,

Our cnc is stopping in random places throughout a job. We are having trouble with Mach 4 recognizing the Smart Bob (PMDX) and when we try to restart it, it errors that there is another instance of M4 already running. We then need to restart the computer to fix that. It sure seems like Mach 4 is having issues. Would it be a good idea to uninstall Mach 4 and reinstall it and how would be do that? We've done dry runs with the same results which would seem to indicate that static is not the issue. Thank you.
Re: Should we re-install Mach 4
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
 I dont know anything about your smart BOB  but, if its a USB device then you might be experiencing your USB ports going to sleep .That is where I would start before reinstalling Mach4. If you want to reinstall Mach software I would back up the mach directory and uninstall and then reinstall. then copy your xml file over to the new install folder.
Regards
Charlie M.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 04:34:06 PM »
Hi,

Our cnc is stopping in random places throughout a job. We are having trouble with Mach 4 recognizing the Smart Bob (PMDX) and when we try to restart it, it errors that there is another instance of M4 already running.

This occurs when Mach does not shut down correctly, the GUI hangs up and you cannot restart Mach. The correct procedure is to use Task Manager to end the GUI task, thereafter you'll be
able to start another instance.

Would it be a good idea to uninstall Mach 4 and reinstall it and how would be do that? We've done dry runs with the same results which would seem to indicate that static is not the issue. Thank you.

You could certainly try re-installing Mach, but I think you are clutching a straws, the most likely explanation is the USB connection faulting. Try a very short USB lead maybe, or consider upgrading
to an Ethernet connected motion controller.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 08:10:54 AM »
Hi Craig,
As it turns out, our Smart Bob 411 had gone belly up. PMDX is graciously repairing it. We uninstalled and re-installed the latest Mach 4. But, we bought an ethernet Smoothstepper to avoid USB connections. Anyway, after a lot of struggle and paying a company to set up the ESS with M4, our Y axis runs backwards when we try to run a file. New files or files made before the switch. When we hit execute G code, Y crashes into the home switch. It homes and jogs properly but the Y is mirrored during an actual job run. I tried a bunch of things that I thought would reverse the issue but so far to no avail. Do you happen to know why Mach 4would change the code like that?

Thanks, David
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »
Hi,

Do you happen to know why Mach 4would change the code like that?

Mach does not change the Gcode. What is happenig is that you have code written for your old machine/controller and according to
your system is going the right way. Now you have a different controller and one axis is reversed relative to your old controller.

It homes and jogs properly but the Y is mirrored during an actual job run.

Forget jogging, it is not a reasonable test, a button can be assigned to jog positively or negatively when you are actually concerned with the
DROs, do they count up or count down?. The correct means of testing your machine for things like axis calibration and axis direction is with MDI.

With the machine approximately centered zero X and Y axes. Then MDI
g0 x100  (mm units assumed) and the axis should move such that the controlled point is 100mm further to the right.
g0y100 should cause the controlled point to move 100mm further away from you. These are the industry standard axis directions, called right hand
after the right hand rule.

It sounds to me like you have your Y axis reversed. It can be direction swapped in the ESS plugin Ports&Pins tab, and should only ever be swapped there.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »
So would that be a change to the "high/lo" setting?