Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:10:26 AM

Author Topic: SCHP vs Hardware Disable E-Stop  (Read 606 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
SCHP vs Hardware Disable E-Stop
« on: June 09, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »
Using Mach3 I’m wiring a C11G-Rev.9 with an ESS and with my limited knowledge my understanding is that both SCHP and E-Stop wired as Hardware Disable serve the same purpose, that’s to stop all moving part on a CNC.

I understand that SCHP uses the 12.5 KHz signal which Mach3 generates but the final results are not the same?

Which one is the best alternative?

Thanks
Nicolas
Re: SCHP vs Hardware Disable E-Stop
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 11:15:54 PM »
Hi,
I've never bothered with a charge pump....ever, not when I used Mach3 and parallel ports, nor Mach4 and an ESS.

The idea was that with a parallel port it was possible some outputs were active even before Mach had powered up and started to run. The charge pump was to stop those
inadvertently active outputs from causing movement or the spindle running, for safety.

If you are careful about your use of ESS and the breakout board there should be NO active outputs unless and until Mach is active and running, and therefore the
charge pump achieves nothing. I have always been careful to design my machines such that as the machine is powering up, but before Mach is up and running and in charge
the machine does not move nor any equipment like the spindle or pumps run.

An Estop is an emergency stop for whatever reason. If you stopped Mach then the charge pump would, after a few hundred milliseconds, stop and therefore the machine would stop.
To my mind  a few hundred millisecond is too slow, an Estop should be immediate. For an Estop a software and/or hardware Estop is required.

Good machine design renders a charge pump obsolete.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: SCHP vs Hardware Disable E-Stop
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 12:48:47 AM »
You are right Craig, following my post I did some search to educate myself on charge pump and I came to the same conclusion. Perhaps in some cnc depending on the use a charge pump may serve a purpose but for the rest a good E-Stop along with a good design it’s all you need.

Cheers
Nicolas