Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 11:32:55 AM

Author Topic: Screen Ratio  (Read 1313 times)

Screen Ratio
« on: May 30, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »
I am evaluating whether to use Mach4 or not, and the screen editing feature is a major reason to choose it. I have it open in demo mode, and I copied the original screensets. I then clicked "view", "load screen" and then started a new blank screen.

I have already run into a major problem: the environment to edit the screen assumes a ratio that is not 16:9. When I follow up by opening Mach4 in that screenset in fullscreen, it stretches.

This is a non-starter if it can't be defeated. How can I change the ratio?
Re: Screen Ratio
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 03:36:04 AM »
I think I may have found an answer, buried deep in another part of this forum, in a YouTube video (probably not intentionally): https://youtu.be/T8-vhl1tWBg

1a) Download and install Visual Studio Code or Notepad++ (or similar)
1b) Download and install 7-Zip
2) Navigate to the screenset enclosing folder (ex: C:\Mach4Hobby\Screens\)
3)  Double-click on a screenset
4) Right-click on "screen.xml", and select "Open Outside" (or shift + enter)
5) Change the value in line 6 to 1920
6) Change the value in line 7 to 1064

I measured my Dell U4320Q screen to have a 8mm menu bar at the top out of a total of 532mm of vertical space (in fullscreen with the taskbar hidden), so I came up with 1064 pixels instead of 1080, after rounding (ultimately this will be used on a 1080p touchscreen). Now the canvas is in a 16:9-ish ratio in the screen edit environment, and when stretched, square buttons are still square!

It wouldn't be hard to edit the entire screenset in the code editor - it might even be easier if you know how to code

Is there a way to completely eliminate the menu bar when operating the machine?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:47:47 AM by XYZgnomon »