Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 09:38:51 AM

Author Topic: Stepper Motors X, Y, Z, and Spindle- Unable to Energize Stepper Power Relays  (Read 1701 times)

CNC: Velox VR 2525 (parallel port, Vista 32)
Note: Velox CNC appears to have gone out of business. They just have a zombie website running with disconnected phone numbers.
My issue: I can't energize the relays powering the stepper motors and spindle.
I have had success with the following:   
•   Installed Vista 32 bit
•   Installed Rosewill PCI Card (5V TTL, verified with DMM) and RC-302 Driver
•   I can load the controller box’s xml file provided by vendor (during their precovid days)
•   I have copied the .dat file in the C:/Mach3 folder (I guess this is the license)
•   Eliminated “External E-Stop Requested” by switching to enable high
•   Trigger X, Y, Z Home switch and see Mach3 detects the switch (in Diagnostics screen)

I’m guessing the xml file provided by the vendor has the stepper motor pin/port mapping. I copied that xml file in the C:/Mach3 folder and Mach3 detects it and loads it as profile.

Problem is, when I jog X,Y,Z or try to turn my spindle on I get no response.  I checked the voltage on the relays that enable the spindle and the motor drivers and they are not active.

Would I need to know from Velox which pin(s) and logic activate the spindle and stepper motor relays?
Any guidance is appreciated.

If this is hopeless, I’m thinking of purchasing three of:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQ5KNKR?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_GJN1AG8WFR1PPGRG8ERT

And a new controller:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFTRTBC?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_QSMMW2F3FT1QFZYND2QN

Hi,
the stepper driver is only capable of 42V, and 42V is a joke. The TB6600 IC is prone to going bang. Aim for a driver that can handle 80VDC, even if you don't use it all, I can guarantee that you'll
want as much voltage as you can get when you get your machine running.

The controller you pictured is just another parallel port breakout board. Are you really sure that you want to stick with all the quirks/faults of a parallel port?
If you buy an external motion controller like an Ethernet SmoothStepper, or a UC300 or a 57CNC then you could use  Windows 7/8/10/11 and 64 bit or 32 bit,  laptop or desktop,
and still run vastly smoother and faster than a parallel port can ever run. The parallel port is not just 'last decade' it's..... 'last century', if you want good results
get an external motion controller, and not some cheap/crappy Chinese rubbish either.

If you insist on using a parallel port run run DriverTest.exe and report the results . By the way 'execllent' or 'good' is not a report, we need to know the timing jitter
and your selected kernel speed. If the timing jitter is as much as 10% of the kernel period you are in for a battle.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Hi,
the stepper driver is only capable of 42V, and 42V is a joke. The TB6600 IC is prone to going bang. Aim for a driver that can handle 80VDC, even if you don't use it all, I can guarantee that you'll
want as much voltage as you can get when you get your machine running.

The controller you pictured is just another parallel port breakout board. Are you really sure that you want to stick with all the quirks/faults of a parallel port?
If you buy an external motion controller like an Ethernet SmoothStepper, or a UC300 or a 57CNC then you could use  Windows 7/8/10/11 and 64 bit or 32 bit,  laptop or desktop,
and still run vastly smoother and faster than a parallel port can ever run. The parallel port is not just 'last decade' it's..... 'last century', if you want good results
get an external motion controller, and not some cheap/crappy Chinese rubbish either.

If you insist on using a parallel port run run DriverTest.exe and report the results . By the way 'execllent' or 'good' is not a report, we need to know the timing jitter
and your selected kernel speed. If the timing jitter is as much as 10% of the kernel period you are in for a battle.

Craig

Thank you for this!

What drivers do you recommend?
Hi,
US made Gecko drivers have the best reputation but aren't cheap. There are plenty of 80VDC capable Chinese made drivers, still more expensive
than the one you linked to but cheaper than Geckos, and still pretty damned good. At 80VDC you've left all the newbie types well behind, and all that's
left are those which are credible to savvy buyers.

Looking on Ebay, most of the drivers are now AC input, that is that they have a rectifier and smoothing caps inside, even easier. This one is for 80VAC or 110VDC, that would
really make your steppers sing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125187084348?hash=item1d25bb503c:g:GAYAAOSwr61iJmKY

Still can't help but think that you need to start at the motion controller, not only is that more expensive than the drivers its also the much more important choice that
will determine your CNC success or otherwise for years to come. Drivers can be replaced at any time, although if you buy well you'll never need to replace them, so there
is some value in getting the 'right' ones first time but its less important than getting the 'right' motion control solution.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'