Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:01:55 PM

Author Topic: Mitsubishi AC Servo Spindle Retrofit  (Read 768 times)

Mitsubishi AC Servo Spindle Retrofit
« on: April 03, 2022, 07:47:17 PM »
I have everything running on my retrofitted machine with Clear path motors, Mach3, an ESS with MB3, but now need to interface the Mitsubishi AC servo spindle motor with it's MBS-SVJ2-37 drive.  How can I connect the drive to Mach3 and maintain spindle orientation for tool changes? I have the specifications manual but it of course assumes you will use the Mitsubishi IO.
Re: Mitsubishi AC Servo Spindle Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 11:00:42 PM »
Hi,
some years ago I came across a big industrial plasma/oxy-fuel table, it was about 8m long and about 4m wide, a big sucker.

It had Mitsubishi servos and a Spanish(?) made drive Loggio....or something like that. They used the proprietory Mitsubishi bus protocol.
I can only assume the Spanish company  paid a licence fee to Mitsubishi.  The problem was that the drives kept blowing up, and they were $2500NZD each.

I suggested to the company that they get rid of the Dynapath control, which provided the bus control data stream to the servo drive, with a PC and Mach4 with a Hicon motion control.

To do this we used the more normal 'regular Mitsubishi drives' which have all the regular input features of all modern servos, ie Step/Dir input. We got four drives for
$1000NZD each and away we went. To my knowledge the same combination is in use today, eight years later.

May I suggest that you take a look at Delta servos. If you do you will find that they produce a number of different drives, including a bog standard Step/Dir input (or analogue)
but also various bus protocol types including Ethercat. The Ethercat model MUST be used in a Ethercat environment, its not possible to feed Ste/Dir into it.

Want you need to do is establish whether Mitsubishi made a regular Step/Dir (or analogue) input drive for your servo. If so then Mach3 would have no trouble driving it, but your
existing bus protocol drive is a no-go.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 03:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I'll check out Delta.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
Hi,
I really only suggested Delta as an example of a type that has both bus protocol OR regular Step/Dir (or analogue) drives.

What I suggest you do is find if Mitsubishi made a regular drive for your motor. By regular I mean a drive that can accept Step/Dir or analogue inputs,
as is common with almost all AC servos.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'